froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Industry analyst firm Superdata isn’t too worried about how virtual reality is going to perform over the next couple years. Its data suggests that about 70 million headsets will be delivering VR content to consumers by the end of 2017 – just a hair over 2 years from now.

Read More

Wow, 70 million in 2 years is a lot of VR users. I think the number of VR users is too high, and there will be less VR users until they can fix eye strain, and weight problems which make using VR uncomfortable, and bad for the eyes.

But, there is a chance there maybe 70 million people who buy VR if companies like Samsung, Sony, Facebook and Google advertise their VR headsets all over the internet, on TV, and magazines like how there are many billions of smartphones and tablets.

Yeah right. You have to first get any decent amount of gamers to actually use the VR headsets and stuff, which is pretty unlikely until decent games are available for the technology. I mean, they're not gonna start using it just because 'look around a virtual house' is available on Xbox Live or PSN. And making it popular with TV/film watchers... that's not a whole lot easier. Remember how badly 3D went down?

Put simply, this won't happen unless something enormous happens that really, really gets people interested in VR.

Well, I hope they're cheap. I could really see myself trying one of these VR devices in the next few years.

Google Cardboard is a VR headset for smartphones which was given away for free because it was made of Cardboard, and plastic eye glasses pieces.

Samsung Gear VR cost $99, but only works with Samsung Galaxy phones like the S6, and S6 edge.

I think there are a few VR headsets made by Kids brands like Viewmaster which cost $30, but you need a compatible Android or iOS smartphone for VR to work...

I guest, if you include Google Cardboard, Samsung VR Gear, Smartphone-based VR headsets, homemade VR gear, 3D printed VR gear, and cheaper lower quality VR toy gear made for amateurs like casual users and kids, the number of VR users could reach 70 million users like drones, tablets and smartphones where a very large percentage of drones, smartphones, and tablets are from cheaper lesser-known brands which a lot of people buy because of their lower prices.

Last edited:
They are going to have to be cheap as hell to reach that userbase and even then have the software to back it up. I just don't see it really.

I agree they need to be very cheap, or even given away for free with smartphone, tablet, and Gaming PC purchases to reach such a high user base.

I feel eye strain, the weight of VR headsets, heat from the headset, and other health problems will make most people not interested in VR even if there is a lot of good VR games, and movies, tv, shows.

I think VR will be something people would buy a ticket to use for a short time to use at a place like a movie theater, carnival, theme park like Disneyland rides, Kid's Restaurant like Chuck E Cheese, Internet Cafe, and Arcade, but most people won't be interested in using VR at home for many hours a day like a PC or Tablet.

Back