XBOX IS PROTOTYPING A NATIVE XBOX HANDHELD, IT’S CLAIMED

cpvr

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Jez Corden of the Xbox Two podcast has claimed that Xbox is working on a new native Xbox handheld.

On the Xbox Two podcast, Corden said, “I know that they’ve [Xbox] have got handheld prototypes right now”. Corden soon clarified that these are “new prototypes” and not the old prototypes often referred to. As pointed out in the podcast, prototypes don’t necessarily mean that new products are coming to market, but Xbox pursuing a handheld isn’t at all surprising.

Corden later said, “no not a cloud handheld, a fully native Xbox handheld.”

The Nintendo Switch has sold well over 100 million copies since its initial launch and now with the likes of the Steam Deck, ROG Ally, and even the PlayStation Portal coming to market in the last couple of years, Xbox making its move into the handheld market makes sense. In fact, some could even argue that companies tapping into the handheld market are one of the only avenues for hardware growth due to the stagnation in console sales.

It’s unclear on when Xbox would announce a new Xbox handheld, but various rumors have suggested that the console’s next generation of consoles could be a dockable handheld, similar to the Nintendo Switch. Earlier this year, Phil Spencer teased that Xbox’s next-generation console will be ‘unique and powerful’.

On the Official Xbox Podcast, newly-crowned Xbox President, Sarah Bond also broke down what’s next for Xbox “We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. We’re also invested in the next-generation roadmap. What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.”

Source: Xbox is Prototyping a Native Xbox Handheld, it's Claimed - Insider Gaming

Not sure why, they should just partner with the steam deck.

I'm not too interested in a Xbox handheld.

I wonder if Xbox Handheld would be a re-branded Microsoft Surface tablet with a custom controller case or removable controllers like the Switch.

I think hand helds are the new craze right now and Microsoft wants part of the action, and who can blame them? I am courious to see how good it's going to be because you can only put so much power into a handheld.

As long as it's not a thing for just Game Pass, I might try it out.

Read from VGC:

Phil Spencer said the Xbox hardware team is considering “different hardware form factors and things that [they] could go do”. “What should we build that will find new players?” he added. “That will allow people to play at times when they couldn’t go play [in the past]?”

“I like the fact that Valve, Lenovo, and Asus went out and innovated in a new form factor,” Spencer said. “And I will say that when I’m playing on those devices, it almost feels more like a console than a PC — nine times out of 10.

“The things that usually frustrate me are more Windows-based than device-based. Which is an area I feel some ownership of. Like, I want to be able to log in with a controller. I’ve got my list of things we should go do.”

Regardless of whether Xbox were to launch its own handheld, Spencer said he wanted other handheld systems to “feel like an Xbox”.

“Forget about the brand. More like: Are all of my games there? Do all my games show up with the save [files] that I want?”

He added: “I want to be able to boot into the Xbox app in a full screen, but in a compact mode. And all of my social [experience] is there. Like I want it to feel like the dash of my Xbox when I turn on the television. [Except I want it] on those devices.”

During a business update in February, Xbox teased plans to reveal new hardware later this year.

Hopefully, Microsoft Handheld won't come bundled with a lot of Artificial Intelligence/AI Apps, features and buttons like newer Windows 11 computer.

I think the Microsoft handheld may not sell very well because a lot of Xbox games are available on PC. A lot of people maybe happy playing Xbox games like Halo on a Windows Gaming Laptop or tablet with a controller.

Back