Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oehNXjLtgQ

The NVIDIA Tegra X1 might be one of if not the most powerful, non-overheating mobile processor around but it is sadly found only in one solitary consumer device, the new Android TV NVIDIA SHIELD. That, however, might soon be changing with sightings of the Tegra X1 making its way to a class of consumer electronics that needs all that muscle the least: Chromebooks. If all the stars align, a certain board codenamed "Smaug" might be the foundations of a rare ARM-based Chromebook powered by the Tegra X1.

Of course, there isn't a Tegra X1 Chromebook per se just yet, but everything has been set in motion to pave the way for it. Chrome OS has added support for the CPU in its Coreboot, its open source equivalent to the BIOS firmware found in most PCs. Commits to the open source Chromium code base were also spotted adding specific support for "Tegra T210", which is the Tegra X1's other name. And lastly, Chrome OS also added support for a board named Smaug. This particular board not only ran on a Tegra X1, it can also run Chrome OS, leading many to believe, and to hope, that the first 64-bit ARM Chromebook is just around the corner.

Read More

I wonder would the Tegra X1 will be able to play Android games on the Chromebook like how The Shield TV can play Android games, and stream PC games from a PC, or Nvidia Grid.

It's good to hear that there will be a Google Chromebook with a Nvidia X1 which may come out in the near future. I wonder how speedy is the Tegra X1 Chromebook compared to the Chromebook Pixel 2 with an Intel Core i7 CPU with a speed of 2.4 GHz, and 16 GB of RAM which is the fastest Chromebook.

alakazam said:
Interesting... It looks like it will be a pretty powerful device... I wonder what company is going to produce it...
I bet, the Chromebook will be produce by Acer since they are already making a Nvidia Tegra K1 Chromebook.

It would be nice if Nvidia releases an officail Tegra X1 chromebook like how Nvidia release an official Shield Android handheld with a Tegra 4, Shield Tegra K1 Tablet, and Shield Android TV box powered by the Tegra X1.

Back