【KRACK】 No WPA2-enabled device is safe (for now)

テクニカル諏訪子

土着神
Full GL Member
Credits
Profile Music
tl;dw (too long; didn't write), there's a new WPA2 exploit the CIA has used for years.
WikiLeaks revealed it in one of the recent Vault 7 leaks, and like WannaCry, this exploit has the potential to be weaponised.

This time it's not only limited to just Windows, it affects everything!
Linux and Android 6.0 are the most vulnerable due to how those can be tricked into (re)installing an all-zero encryption key, but iOS, macOS, Windows, OpenBSD, MediaTek, Linksys, and many others are also affected.

Read:
KRACK Attacks: Breaking WPA2
All WiFi users open to malware attack through WPA2 glitch – study

Responses:
The Linux Kernel has been patched, and multiple Linux distributions already have this patch ready for installation, such as Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, OpenSUSE, and many others.
Sadly, I still need to wait as a Manjaro user.

Microsoft said it has already released a patch for Windows, though it's not clear whether it's only for Windows 10 and Server 2016, or also the older versions, or even for their mobile OSs they've recently killed off.

Apple claimed it has already patched all their products as well, provided they are still being supported.

Only loads of Android devices really remain unprotected, due to the way updates are being handled on the said platform.

What are your thoughts?

apparently there is no wifi encryption you can use that isn't breakable.

It could be a good idea to lower your wireless antennae power output, and range to prevent people from farther away from hacking your wifi.

This problem is bad for people who own computers which only have wi-fi, and no ethernet wired networking ports. I bet, the sales of USB Ethernet adapters, ethernet cables, and ethernet cards will become more popular.

I have such an adapter which I bought all the way back when I get a Wii (2007).
The adapter luckily isn't limited to just the Wii, and it still works today.
But the amount of USB ports available on both my tablet and laptop are rather limited, so I would rather need those ports for more important stuff.

I have such an adapter which I bought all the way back when I get a Wii (2007).
The adapter luckily isn't limited to just the Wii, and it still works today.
But the amount of USB ports available on both my tablet and laptop are rather limited, so I would rather need those ports for more important stuff.

A powered USB hub would be useful for people with very few USB ports, and need to plug in extra accessories like a USB to ethernet adapter.

This is only useful if you're stationed somewhere.
I have a dock for my tablet, which provides 4 additional USB ports, 2 Mini Display ports, and even an Ethernet port.
And I really love it, I only need to plug it into the charging port each time I'm home, and everything powers up instantly. (>ω<)

This is only useful if you're stationed somewhere.
I have a dock for my tablet, which provides 4 additional USB ports, 2 Mini Display ports, and even an Ethernet port.
And I really love it, I only need to plug it into the charging port each time I'm home, and everything powers up instantly. (>ω<)

Tablet and laptop docks are pretty nice. But, they are sometimes kind of expensive.

It could be a good idea to lower your wireless antennae power output, and range to prevent people from farther away from hacking your wifi.

This problem is bad for people who own computers which only have wi-fi, and no ethernet wired networking ports. I bet, the sales of USB Ethernet adapters, ethernet cables, and ethernet cards will become more popular.

this is really about the best anyone can do, though do routers even offer range control?

this is really about the best anyone can do, though do routers even offer range control?

Some wireless routers let you lower the amount of power which goes to the antennae, but lowering the power of the antennae may not affect range very much if the antennaes are longer, and there are not many solid things like a concrete/brick and metal walls in your home which make it harder for the signal to escape your home.

Maybe covering your walls with metal can prevent your wifi from escaping your home, or make the range shorter.

yeah, no one is going to do that.

I agree, almost no one is going to cover their entire wall, ceiling, windows, and floor with metal. It would be cheaper to wire up your home with ethernet cables since metal is expensive, and you beed to buy a lot of metal to cover up most homes.

I guest, a few people who are afraid of wifi and other wireless radiation from satalites and cell phone towers ruining their health may cover up their home with metal, or build a fully metal home.

Back