1 in 10 Western consumers are considering buying a Virtual Reality product in the next 6 months

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Virtual reality is getting off to a slow start due to some high prices and supply shortages, but interest in the technology is growing.

Across Western markets, 11 percent of people with an Internet connect between the ages of 10 and 65 are considering buying a virtual reality device, according to industry intelligence firm Newzoo. Esports fans are among the most interested. They compose 63 percent of all people planning to get something like the Oculus Rift headset or something less expensive, like a Samsung Gear VR. Tech adviser Digi-Capital and analysts at SuperData Research predict the virtual reality business should grow to somewhere between $30 billion and $40 billion by 2020, and Newzoo confirms that an early appetite for this tech already exists.

Read More

I wonder which VR headset will be the most popular.

I think people are also worried it will be a similar fad to 3D TV's and stuff like that - not just the high price. I know that is the main thing stopping my interest in the technology so far.

I wonder if they know the exact price of what VR is? Not cheap to get or own.

I wonder if they know the exact price of what VR is? Not cheap to get or own.

There are smartphone based VR systems like Google Cardboard which are more affordable to own, but the quality is not as good.

Most likely, there would be a lot of companies which make cheaper lower quality VR headsets with fewer features if there are enough buyers interested in VR.

Back