Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Sony and Panasonic revealed this week the Archival Disc, a new professional-use optical disc with storage capacities ranging from 300GB at launch up to 1TB in the future. The companies plan to ship the next-generation standard in summer 2015.

The new disc standard is aimed at the archive market, with Sony saying it realizes that optical discs will need larger storage formats in the future. In addition to the data increase — for comparisons, a dual-layer Blu-ray can hold up to 50GB — Archival Discs will "have excellent properties to protect themselves against the environment, such as dust-resistance and water-resistance, and can also withstand changes in temperature and humidity when stored," according to the two Japanese companies.

Not much is said about consumer usage for the Archival Disc, as Sony and Panasonic say that they "plan to actively promote this next-generation high-capacity optical disc standard in the professional field in order to offer an effective solution for protecting valuable data into the future." The two companies aim to market the Archival Disc to the film industry and online cloud centers.
source

amazing how much disc space is coming.

Wow, I can backup all my 100+GB of files on my computer, and still have hundreds of GBs of free space on a 300GB disc. 

Back