Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Before the Nintendo 3DS was called the 3DS, it had a codename. It was a prototype that Nintendo was developing as the Nintendo DS's successor. And initially, it did not have 3D.

The portable's console manager Hideki Konno tells Famitsu that the planning for the DS's successor commenced when the original DS was finished, complete with prototypes.

The goal for the successor was to make sure it was backwards compatible with the current DS, meaning that it needed to have two screens, with the bottom one being a touch screen.

Sometime after 2008, Nintendo began thinking about using 3D for its new handheld. To test out 3D, the team connected a 3D monitor to the Wii to check how games ran in 3D. Konno liked how Mario Kart Wii played in 3D, and staffers were impressed how figures of Mario and Luigi demoed in 3D.

The system's gyrosensor wasn't added until late in the game — right before last year's E3 gaming expo, actually. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto pushed for the gyrosensor, saying it was "missing something" and adding that with a gyrosensor gameplay "could change greatly". Miyamoto, it seems, could very well be right.

source

good thing they did add it.

I hate that they added it. Made the system more expensive, and another thing to buy. >_>

wouldn't that hate be said for the PS3 and blu ray player?
True, I hate that too. It makes the graphics nicer though, and now the PS3 is one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players, so now it's worth it, rather than being $600.

Cheapest isn't always best.. or worst. Glad to see that they added it.

It's a great marketing thing; saying your games are displayed as 3D without glasses. I don't know if the 3D capability really adds to anything in the game, but I hope it makes games take advantage of it somehow; like making you turn your 3DS one way or another to see an incoming bullet or something. I'm really only concerned with the microphone XD. 3D doesn't particularly turn me on.

Back