3DS XL Case Reviews- For Comfort and Protection

Brunn

Arwing Pilot
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
One of the complaints I often hear about the 3DS and 3DS XL is of hand and finger cramps while playing. The system itself is very flat, and this can make it uncomfortable to hold and press button on, especially for very trigger heavy games such as Star Fox 64 3D, or Mario Kart 7. This problem can sometimes be remedied by use of a case to both protect and 'bulk' up the system.​

The two cases I will be reviewing are the Nerf Armor Maximum Protection Case, and the DreamGEAR Nintendo 3DS XL Comfort Grip. I'll be breaking these down based on looks, protection offered, and comfort of using them while playing the 3DS XL system, and offering notes and comments. While both of these cases are available for BOTH the regular 3DS and the 3DS XL system, I have only tried the versions for the XL.

***Click the pictures to get a bigger view!***

Nerf Armor Maximum Protection Case
Cost: $15-$30+ Depending on where you buy.
I opted to try the Nerf case first, because I was able to find it in stores around me- much easier to return to a physical store if you don't like it!​

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4941]​

The packaging for this thing is annoying and I had to rip the back up to get into it. I was too worried about nicking the Nerf foam to attempt to cut the package up to retrieve the case. As you can see it was $19.99 at my local Gamestop.​

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4937]​

Looks

These cases look alright, if you're into the Nerf thing. I wasn't particularly thrilled to have a gaming system that looks like a Nerf ball, but this case is aimed more at a younger crowd. The cases for the XL are all black with either a light blue, orange, or pink detail line across them. Personally I feel they would have looked nicer had the available colors matched those of the game systems themselves with Red and Blue. Also, I have seen the Nerf cases listed on Amazon as different prices depending on what color you want.

Usability and Comfort

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4940]​

The case itself is hard plastic on the inside covered with Nerf Foam on the outside. The hard plastic innards on the case I purchased had sharp bits from whatever molding process is used to make them on the inside that can potentially scratch the system when you install it.​
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4934]

I was unimpressed by the lopsided appearance when installed, and the nerf foam appears to have been attatched to the hard plastic shell with adhesive- it doesn't look nearly as clean or smooth on the inner edges. Because the case is one piece connected with a hinge, it was a little difficult to install, requiring you to slid the top half of the 3DS in and press the lower half of the 3DS in until it snaps. I didn't like having to cram my expensive gaming system into a plastic box.​
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4936]

This is the bottom of the case. I was not pleased with the massive cut out for the SD card slot and Stylus slot. Whenever you hold the unit to play, your fingers slip down into the cut out, making it lopsided and uncomfortable to hold. The case was not designed to be pulled on and off (And for fear of scratching your 3DS, you wouldn't want to!) so being able to access the SD card slot was a must. However, during most game play, you don't need to get at the SD card at all. It's an awkward, but necessary flaw for the case.​

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4935]

Along the back of the system, the case runs a thin strip of plastic- this is where the top and bottom part of the case hinges together, and where two small bumpers of nerf foam run over the top of the 3DS XL's hinges. Unfortunately, that small strip of plastic sits very close to the Right and Left trigger buttons, making it more difficult to hit them solidly.

Protection

For all the discomfort of use, the Nerf Armor does feel very protective. While it may not be cushy and pleasant to the hand, it is very padded and feels like it would absorb a decent impact if dropped. The Nerf foam is also fairly lightweight, so it doesn't weigh the system down as much. The foam also maintains the rectangular, low profile shape of the system, meaning there's less chance of nudging it off a table or catching it on something.

Notes

• The Nerf case is highly recommended by parents for children's 3DS's for it's protective value.
  • There were several reviews stating that the foam can start to crumble where your hands tend to grip the system.
  • There were also several reviews saying that the case had scratched the 3DS system. I notice minor scratches on my system after removing the case and checking for scratches, but I cannot say with certainty that they were caused by the case. Something to keep in mind.
  • A few reviewers also had issues with the top half of the case not fitting properly and not staying attached to the 3DS. I did not notice this issue.
  • I saw this case being sold online at a higher price then in retail stores, so do shop around!
  • Also, if you purchase this case online from Best Buy, be aware that you will get a color at random and you cannot select which color you receive. I noticed several very annoyed reviewers with this problem!
DreamGEAR Nintendo 3DS XL Comfort Grip
Cost: Around $20​
I was not able to find the XL version of this case in store and had to order it from Amazon. I did see the regular 3DS version for sale in a Target.​

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4939]​

After being unimpressed with the Nerf case, I ordered the DreamGEAR Comfort Grip from Amazon. It arrived in this snazzy box, much easier to get into then the Nerf packaging!

Looks
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4930]​

The Comfort Grip is made of matte finish black silicone. So far as I'm aware the only color the XL version is available in is black, although there are several options of colors for the regular 3DS, such as pink, blue and transparent black. The silicone itself is smooth and not tacky- it has yet to pick up any dust or fuzzies. The molding is smooth and clean, and the edges for the cut outs for things like the camera lenses and stylus slots are all nicely beveled.

Usability and Comfort
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4931]​
The first major difference between the Nerf Case and the DreamGEAR case, is that the Comfort Grip comes in two separate pieces. I found this made it a lot easier to get on and off, and as the whole thing is soft silicone, there is nothing on the case that can scratch the 3DS system. The silicone itself is soft and cushy enough to be extremely comfortable to hold, but not so squishy as to feel unsafe.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4933]​
The Comfort Grip is shaped and contoured in a way that makes it feel more like your holding a gaming controller rather then a flat gaming system. The large rounded grips at the bottom give a lot of room for your fingers to curl around and for the unit to sit against your palm. This combined with the two feet towards the top of the system lets you feel at ease while holding the console. I never felt like I was in danger of dropping it, and the grip gives lots of options for varying hand positions while you're playing. This really helped to alleviate some of the aches and pains in my hands when playing games like Mario Kart 7.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:4938]

The silicone along the back edge of the lower part of the grip is a little 'loose' and doesn't quite sit up above the game cartridge port or the power plug; however it's very easy to nudge the silicone out of the way of these slots when your plugging in the charger or inserting a game. Likewise the silicone grip is very thick around a few of spots it has cutout for, like the Stylus port, or the headphone jack. While it was a little more difficult to access these, I didn't find it to be particularly bad. Unless your headphones have a monster sized jack, you shouldn't have any trouble plugging it in.​
The volume, wifi switch and 3D slider were all unobstructed, and while the silicone does cover the LEDs, you can still see the lights through the grip. The only thing I wasn't able to access with the grip on in the SD card slot, but I have never needed to access that anyway, and the soft silicone case is a breeze to pull off should you ever need to get to it.​

Protection

As the name implies, the DreamGEAR Comfort Grip is more about increasing comfort while using the system rather then adding protection to your 3DS. While the edges of the system have a lot of padding where the grips are, there is not as much padding to the hinges of the console, one of the main things I'd be concerned about if the system were dropped. I feel that this case would likely do fine for protecting against scratches or a very short drop, but if a fall is your main concern, the Nerf case would probably be a better bet.​

NOTES

• There are a lot of reviewers on Amazon that say that their Comfort Grip would not stay on their system. I did not have this issue, everything fit snuggly for me.
  • This case significantly alters the shape of the 3DS, so it likely won't fit in any carry cases, and certainly will not fit in a pocket.
  • In general, parents did not rate this nearly as highly as the Nerf case in terms of protection in the reviews I read on Amazon.

I ended up keeping the DreamGEAR case and will be returning the Nerf case to the store. I much preferred the look of the Comfort Grip over the Nerf case, and it did exactly what I wanted- gave me a comfortable grip on the console and helped to relieve at least some of hand aches associated with the 3DS. Both cases however, seemed sturdy and usable, depending on what you need!

Edit 5/21/2013: I still have and use the same DreamGEAR case, love the thing. Really does make it more comfy to play, though it does make the system heavier. I found the case made it easier to draw on Colors! 3D as well, as the nubbys on the bottom gave me lots of ways to hold my 3DS when I turned it every which way whilst drawing! Highly recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your review comparing the two cases. I bought the Nerf Armor on impulse because it looked like it fit the bill after I dropped my 3DS earlier than evening when out. Then I went home and read the reviews stating that it had a bad scratching problem due to being made of hard plastic.

I was mostly interested in the DreamGEAR grip as an alternative but your experience and pictures show that it has the same design issue as the Nerf Armor as far as protective value. Neither offer much of any protection to the hinge when the unit is closed, so if it happens to fall at that angle it's going to take a full impact.

I personally like my Nerf Armor after "fixing" the interior with the original plastic foam sleeve my 3DS XL came packaged in so that's one problem fixed.

71memAdUtGL.jpg

I should probably update this that I no longer use the Dreamgear armor. After a time the weight it added to the console, and the general bulk of it became annoying. Too many trips taking it to the bar recently to want to have it in a giant case!

Back