Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
PC gaming isn't dead.

With all the buzz that tablets are taking over the gaming world as well as new game consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony appearing on the horizon, you'd almost (almost) be forgiven for thinking PC gaming was dead. However, today brings news that there are still 54 million gamers that market research firm Jon Peddie Research categorizes as performance and enthusiast class gamers. Additionally, the firm says PC gaming will drive hardware sales of $23.6 billion this year and about $32 billion by 2015. Much of that growth is predicted to happen due to a "winding down recession."

JPR was rather stingy with additional data and tells us that the complete data set is available for $15,000, or in three, $7,500 bite-sized portions for enthusiast, performance, and mainstream markets covering 33 countries.

"We are witnessing the market morph and grow into different areas," said JPR analyst Ted Pollak. "This has always been a strong point of PC gaming; the ability to adapt to different entertainment environments and requirements. The hobbyist aspect of the DIY market is driving billions in component sales and small form factor rigs are being hooked up to HDTVs, essentially being used as super consoles."

JPR predicts especially strong growth in BRIC countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - where gaming hardware revenue is expected to climb from $4.7 billion in 2012 to $7.7 billion in 2015.

http://www.tomshardw...dead,15530.html

Wow, that is a lot of hardcore gamers who play PC games. This could mean PC is the biggest platform in a few years. I think if you include casual gamers who play games on Facebook, the internet, free games, solitaire, minesweeper, etc and flash games, the population of PC gaming might be even bigger.

I think as computer hardware prices drop for faster video cards, CPU, RAM, SSD, etc because of stiff competition from hardware makers like eVGA, ATI, Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc then PC gaming would be as affordable or even more affordable then Video game consoles gaming which would more people pick PC gaming as their primary gaming device.

Plus, PC gaming is customizable while console gaming is locked meaning you have to use the same controller for every game, and pay to unlock new features via DLC, and add-ons.

PC FTW! Also you say it like only console gamers have to pay for DLCs... PC gamers have to do it as well with stupid companies like Activision. Although i'm not sure if you were referring to mods.

I was also referring to MODS, and custom maps made by fans. I think Warcraft 3 has a way to make maps. I think a lot of people like PC gaming because it is free for many games to play online like Guild War 1 is free to play online.

I heard Blizzard also requires you to pay for Expansion packs like World of Warcraft's Burning Crusade which had a lot of expansion kit which came out for the game, but some people claim expansion packs are like squeals to the original games.

Oh I guess but custom maps are only available on few PC games out there. But mods... that's a different story xD

Back