Other A new study has found that some people see the world at a higher temporal resolution.

cm2

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from tweaktown:

Humans see by converting light into electrical signals through cells called photoreceptors. These cells than then transmit the signals through the optic nerve to the region of the brain responsible for image formation, known as a the visual cortex. The speed, or frequency this process occurs is called temporal resolution, or a "frame rate". According to a new study published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE, the frame rate humans isn't standard across all humans and can differ vastly depending on genetic makeup.

A team of researchers took 88 volunteers and placed goggles on them and put a blinking LED light in their sight. The LED light blinked at different speeds. The test enabled the researchers to boil down the speed of which the test subject was no longer able to see the flicking light, and instead they saw a solid unmoving light. The results were surprisingly as some people weren't able to see past a flicking light above 35 times a second, while others were able to see up to 60 times per second.

"might become apparent in high-speed situations where one might need to locate or track fast-moving objects, such as in ball sports, or in situations where visual scenes change rapidly, such as in competitive gaming."

"This suggests that some people may have an advantage over others before they have even picked up a racquet and hit a tennis ball, or grabbed a controller and jumped into some fantasy world online," concluded study co-author and PhD candidate Clinton Haarlem, also of Trinity College Dublin

I wonder if this can be a trained behavior. It sounds like it isn't. In video games, to get good I would think it is based on experience. Framerate wouldn't necessarily be an issue with reaction times as well as minor CRT and LED TV differences. A lot of it is behavioral but behavioral skill is a struggle to be taught in niche game cases.

I wonder if this can be a trained behavior. It sounds like it isn't. In video games, to get good I would think it is based on experience. Framerate wouldn't necessarily be an issue with reaction times as well as minor CRT and LED TV differences. A lot of it is behavioral but behavioral skill is a struggle to be taught in niche game cases.

Experience and training are very important. You maybe born with the "extra power" but without any training and experience you can be beaten by a person with more experience and training than you. Like Batman can beat super powered villains lol or Cyclops in Uncanny X-Men #175 by Chris Claremont can beat an entire X-Men roster because of his tactical experience lol.

4128127-vsxmen.png

Last edited:
Back