Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from kotaku and yahoo finance on the latest layoffs:

We have important news to share with you today concerning the redesign of our Field Leadership team. As part of our continued GameStop Reboot transformation initiative, a dedicated team, including the Retail Vice Presidents, HR, LP and the U.S. Store Operations leadership team, have been working diligently to realign our current field regions and districts in an effort to reduce our cost structure and build efficiencies into our field leadership organization so that we can reinvest in the business.

This realignment results in an expanded size of GameStop’s regions and districts, therefore reducing the number of field leaders required to run the organization. The realignment also allows for a reset of the GSL reporting structure, enabling these new multi-unit leader’s ownership in their span of control. More details to come on the GSL process.

Unfortunately, with these changes, there are more than 50 field leaders who have been impacted and will be leaving the GameStop team. This includes regional, district, HR, and LP leaders. These leaders will be missed and we wish them success in their future endeavors.

These decisions are not easy, but necessary to help us reduce costs to enable investment in revenue-driving initiatives that will help grow the business once again. There is more work to be done to streamline the number of tasks for our field leaders and provide tools to support their daily activities. This work has already begun and will continue moving forward.

One of the affected employees, who spoke to Kotaku on the condition of anonymity, confirmed the email was real. “It was wide spread. 50-plus DLs [District Leaders], 6 RLs [Regional Leaders], multiple Hr [Human Resources] and Lp [Loss Prevention] staff,” the person said in an email. The individual believed that most of the people targeted in the layoffs were high paid District Leaders, responsible for coordinating several individual stores, as well as under performers.

Sad news when this happens. Hey Demon_Skeith Demon_Skeith is that where you work?

Hahahah, no. I work at staples, that can be equally as degrading. I almost did work there once, but a pal of mine strongly objected and from what I read on their emerging reddit at the time, I'm glad I didn't.

cm2 cm2 so if I'm reading this right, the people who worked on cutting corners to strength their profits are the same being let go?

cm2 cm2 so if I'm reading this right, the people who worked on cutting corners to strength their profits are the same being let go?

Yes that's pretty much what happened.

This is sad news for people who work at Gamestop, and people who like buying physical games from an actual game store instead of Bestbuy, Walmart, Target, and other stores.

Looks like this is far from done.

The struggling retail chain GameStop laid off over a hundred employees today, both at its corporate headquarters in Grapevine, Texas and at other offices including its subsidiary Game Informer magazine in Minnesota, where nearly half of the editorial staff lost their jobs in a surprise cut.

“As part of the previously announced GameStop Reboot initiative to transform our business for the future and improve our financial performance, we can confirm a workforce reduction was implemented impacting more than 120 corporate staff positions, representing approximately 14% of our total associate base at our company headquarters as well as at some other offices,” a GameStop spokesperson told Kotaku in a statement.

“While these changes are difficult, they were necessary to reduce costs and better align the organization with our efforts to optimize the business to meet our future objectives and success factors. We recognize that this is a difficult day for our company and particularly for those associates impacted. We appreciate their dedication and service to GameStop and are committed to supporting them during this time of transition.”

It is sad to see Gamestop firing so many workers. Hopefully, Gamestop does not close down too many stores. I feel Gamestop is a store which is more likely to sell more mature games instead of just family friendly/everyone and teen rated games.

It is sad to see Gamestop firing so many workers. Hopefully, Gamestop does not close down too many stores. I feel Gamestop is a store which is more likely to sell more mature games instead of just family friendly/everyone and teen rated games.

They are most likely facing the end of times.

They are most likely facing the end of times.

Hopefully, Gamestop will be around longer, or still have a few stores in each big city or town to sell more mature, hardcore, and retro games, mini consoles, and consoles which stores like Wal-mart and Target dont always sell or dont have many copies per store.

Hopefully, Gamestop will be around longer, or still have a few stores in each big city or town to sell more mature, hardcore, and retro games, mini consoles, and consoles which stores like Wal-mart and Target dont always sell or dont have many copies per store.

GameInformer should be a main streamline revenue for Gamestop, if they are cutting people then it is looking grim.

Back