Anyone a bit disappointed by the camera view in the new games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
It's better than it was before, but... it still seems a bit too simplistic. I mean, when I heard '3D world', I was expecting something a bit more like Zelda or Luigi's Mansion, where the world is viewed with a zoomed in perspective and a more... 3D feel to the scenery.

But in X and Y (and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire), it still just seems like the view is set a bit too high. Anyone agree?

Well, Pokemon has always been a top down game. If you wanted to bring down the camera, you might as well make it not fixed. But doing that would also lose out on the optimizations that you're able to make with a fixed camera angle. Basically, if you get too low, it won't be like the other game in the series. Whether that's a good or bad thing is opinion based.

Well, Pokemon has always been a top down game. If you wanted to bring down the camera, you might as well make it not fixed. But doing that would also lose out on the optimizations that you're able to make with a fixed camera angle. Basically, if you get too low, it won't be like the other game in the series. Whether that's a good or bad thing is opinion based.

You must not have played Pokemon: XD for gamecube.

pokemon-xd-gale-of-darkness-20051006052517881-000.jpg
pokemon-xd-gale-of-darkness-20050815095412128.jpg

I was expecting a 3rd-person view such as that for the X and Y games as well when they said '3D'. they also said "Fully 3D' at first and there is hardly any 3D at all in the game outside of  battle - which is still unimpressive as far as animations go, imho. Even Dragon Quest has more animations now than Pokémon does).

side note: XD: Gale of Darkness was amazing, imo! It was the first and only game with an entirely original story since gen 1! And being able to capture opponents' mons and having 'possessed' mons made the gameplay even more in-depth. I HIGHLY recommend it as well as I wish it got a 3DS port (even if not in 3D).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I am disappointed, but Game Freak has always been awful with graphics for the mainline Pokémon games do I'm not surprised.

Well...  At least we don't have any bugs corrupting saves right now...  (*casts an aside glance to Trolliose City*)

Well to be fair, Pokemon X and Y at least fixes its glitches. Mario & Luigi Dream Team and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon still have bugs from the first time around that break large portions of the game.

I think the camera view is fine.

Back