Aonuma researched Skyrim, Far Cry, and Witcher 3 while designing Breath of the Wild

benoit489

Assistant Regional Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Eiji Aonuma Cites Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Far Cry in Research for Breath of the Wild; Shows Admiration for The Last Guardian

Speaking in an interview with Game Informer, The Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma reflected on the development of the upcoming Breath of the Wild while also sharing some insights into the game’s development towards release. Specifically, Aonuma talked about several games that he played during research for Breath of the Wild, which included the Far Cry series, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Aonuma addressed that “in the past, I didn’t play many video games,” adding that “nowadays, I actually play a lot of overseas titles.” After playing the titles previously mentioned (and many others), Aonuma explained that “while playing those games, I do find some ideas, but it’s not that it connects directly to Zelda to where I would take something and use it in Zelda, but it’s more of something I keep in the back of my head while developing the game.”

You can definitely see the influence. I guess he played Skyrim and thought that cooking food was the most enjoyable part of the game! Glad to see he is looking at other popular titles to figure out what drives gamers these days. Definitely a stark contrast to Nintendo's typical ignorance of the entire industry.

Without a doubt this will take me more than half a year to play and beat.

Without a doubt this will take me more than half a year to play and beat.
I'm starting to get hyped. Any word on the Wii U version release date? I'll probably get that version first and then the Switch version eventually. I did the same thing with Twilight Princess on the GC and Wii.

Back