Archived Old Threads (Update!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiritwarrior

Lurking
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Now, for those who may be wondering about old threads lingering in some of the forums:

I've enabled a feature on all the forums that will allow to "cut off" and sort of archive threads that are over 90 days old. So if someone is looking for a topic that used to be posted in a forum but not there to see, chances are that it's over 90 days old and can be found by using the forum's search area or by changing the cut off date to the begging in the lower right hand corner.

Could you also enable something that automatically locks a topic when it is too old? Just a thought...

I believe you can but this just puts a topic in the archive so it makes room for other topics

QUOTE (mr_pac @ September 21, 2007 06:36 pm) Could you also enable something that automatically locks a topic when it is too old? Just a thought...
There's no option that can do this, the only thing I can do to is to hide/cut off the older topics from the current ones, so that they can't be seen.

UPDATE: I've made a slight change to this, for the time being a majority of the forums will not have a cut-off date for older topics, except for the GF News and the Help board.

Since search engines may not have indexed the topics they may have missed because the threads and pages were out of reach, this will give them some time to do so, and get those pages out on the web for others to find.

QUOTE (hcfwesker @ January 23, 2009 02:37 pm) I really don't understand the use of the feature, except to prevent REALLY old topics from being bumped... but some sections that are slow, will look even more inactive with the topics being cut off.
I'm guessing it is to keep topics from slowing down the site or from keeping the topics from getting bumped which we have no problem with.

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ January 23, 2009 05:46 pm) QUOTE (hcfwesker @ January 23, 2009 02:37 pm) I really don't understand the use of the feature, except to prevent REALLY old topics from being bumped... but some sections that are slow, will look even more inactive with the topics being cut off.
I'm guessing it is to keep topics from slowing down the site or from keeping the topics from getting bumped which we have no problem with.
The use of the feature depends on what kind of forum users post in, like a support board or site news board, basically to prevent older news and issues already solved from being shown.

As for the others, I suspect search engine spiders like Google and Yahoo have not crawled and indexed those topics yet, and I think it's good for others to visit existing topics before making new ones.

Well, for one thing, the game reviews Board has been wiped clean due to this. and, no reviews, means not only are OUR reviews posted seem trashed; but noone's gonna post a review, if they don't see others posting reviews, and seeing examples, as well
winking0056.gif

Even thpough the main page says "13" topics, there's only 1 review still existing

QUOTE (hcfwesker @ January 26, 2009 02:26 pm) Well, for one thing, the game reviews Board has been wiped clean due to this. and, no reviews, means not only are OUR reviews posted seem trashed; but noone's gonna post a review, if they don't see others posting reviews, and seeing examples, as well
winking0056.gif

Even thpough the main page says "13" topics, there's only 1 review still existing
Yeah, that is right... Others may not see how reviews and stuff get posted, without first knowing how they should post their content, by looking at other topics. They pretty much serve as guides, so that others can get an idea of how a forum should flow.

After seeing that and the other forums that store reviews and other completed stuff, I've decided to end the use of the topic cutoff feature. It's probably not recommended unless a certain forum is extremely active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back