Are companies giving up on web browser programs/apps now that mobile and PC apps are very popular?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I feel a lot of companies like Google and Microsoft are rarely talking about their web browser website programs like Google Docs, Gmail, Hangouts, Microsoft Office Online, Hotmail, etc. Companies seem to be giving up on the idea that many users want to do most of their daily tasks like typing documents in a web browser with a website like Google Docs, and Microsoft Office Online

Google seems to be promoting their newer Chromebooks as being able to run Google Android offline apps from the Google Play Store, and promoting Android as an all-in-one operating system with many offline apps, and offline support for watching offline YouTube and Google Play videos and music by downloading them to an SD card.

Microsoft is also promoting Windows 10 Windows Store apps or games, and Microsoft Office 365 which both can run offline. But, you need a yearly subscription to use Office 365 unlike Microsoft Office where you pay once, and use it for as long as you like.

Last edited:
hopefully they don't do away with them, the services are useful for a team set up or school work.

hopefully they don't do away with them, the services are useful for a team set up or school work.

I know there are probably free and open source web browser programs which you can install on your personal website.

But, web browser services are very useful for school and teams since you can use the programs on any computer with a web browser and internet connection which is almost all modern computers.

I kind of prefer using a website to use a chatroom instead of downloading a chatroom program because it is more convenient at times.

My work uses Google products (gmail, google docs, etc) and so do many school systems. I don't see these going away for a long time.

I'm guessing they have other priorities, and these have been moved in the background for a while to make room for new concepts and ideas...

My work uses Google products (gmail, google docs, etc) and so do many school systems. I don't see these going away for a long time.

I know a lot of schools in the US use Google Products like Google Docs, Gmail, YouTube for teaching with Khan Academy.

But, it seems a lot of people in non-US countries like Canada still stick to using MS Word, and the free Office alternatives like Kingsoft Office, Libreoffice and OpenOffice. The mobile versions of some of these apps like Kingsoft Office for Mobile and Microsoft Office for Mobile are becoming more popular.

Google Docs and Microsoft Word Online could be a good site for backing up your important document files for free.

Last edited:
In Australia Microsoft Office is still used quite a lot, I use it at home but I still use the online gmail: only because I can access my emails anywhere I need to.

To be honest while having apps in a browser is a good idea at first, I guess that there are many issues that developers need to overcome (try running a video editor online for example) so they figured that they move to something else that would work better.

Some will keep existing, but I think the ones by larger developers are increasingly done in other ways (like the PC/mobile apps you mentioned). The only real Chrome extensions I use is a dictionary tool and then ones that integrate from software on my PC.

Back