Are Offline Responsibilities like School, Work Taking Away Many Hours From your internet time?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I sometimes feel there is a lot to do offline like buying groceries, choirs, fixing stuff at home, making appointments, and appointments which make it more difficult for being online as much as I want to be. I feel offline responsibilities like work can take away more time where it is more difficult to find time to finish watching all the videos on a YouTube channel, reading blogs and forum, online gaming, working on websites, adding posts to websites, or just earning a few extra dollars online to save more money for the future to pay for web hosting costs, domain registration fees, ISP costs, and general expenses like bandwidth which come with running a website.

Ironically, I must use the internet in order to do my job.

I do agree that the internet should really be limited to websites and not full applications again (even though I make web applications for a living), but people want to make thing as easy as possible, so easy is the future, and the cloud is by far the easiest thing you can have (and at the same time the most dangerous thing when it comes to information).

Furthermore, domain names are mostly very cheap, web hosting are normally cheap too (I run my own servers, because I prefer freedom over price), ISPs aren't very expensive (either you pay more for better speed, or pay less for worse speed), and bandwidth is generally unlimited around here (unless you're talking about mobile providers, which hold both dominance and popularity, and can therefore rape you to their hearts contest and still get away with it).

To save money for real, you will need to make choices.
I find technology very important, so I spend lots of money on quality servers, good computers, good phones, great internet speeds, quality software, etc.
In return, I only occasionally buy new clothes, and I'm more careful with food and stuff, and I make sure I don't buy things I don't need.

Additionally, I'm now saving up for my next trip to Japan (a minimum stay of 2 or 3 months), and as a result I've cancelled software subscriptions I don't use any more (and replaced with open source software wherever possible and reasonable), I've limited the amount of games I want to buy this year, and simplified my network of servers by a lot.

I don't know whats up with this semester but I am just too busy with homework and stuff to get any gaming done. I just find myself sleeping or working when not dealing with school. Plus it sucks that none of my classes have a computer in it, so I can't jump on here for some mid-day posting.

I don't know whats up with this semester but I am just too busy with homework and stuff to get any gaming done. I just find myself sleeping or working when not dealing with school. Plus it sucks that none of my classes have a computer in it, so I can't jump on here for some mid-day posting.

It is dusapointing how more schools require you to bring your own laptop, or tablet to class instead of using the class' computer.

A small laptop can be good for making a few posts during breaks.

I think one of the reasons small laptops are still somewhat popular is because busy people use them to make a few posts on forums and blogs during their work break or using them secretly under a table or a chair to hide non-work related videos and pictures from the boss and customers.

It is dusapointing how more schools require you to bring your own laptop, or tablet to class instead of using the class' computer.

A small laptop can be good for making a few posts during breaks.

I think one of the reasons small laptops are still somewhat popular is because busy people use them to make a few posts on forums and blogs during their work break or using them secretly under a table or a chair to hide non-work related videos and pictures from the boss and customers.

it's just because I'm taking classes that are in classrooms that don't have PCs in them. I imagine though in another 20 years there won't be a non-pc classroom in the whole nation.

it's just because I'm taking classes that are in classrooms that don't have PCs in them. I imagine though in another 20 years there won't be a non-pc classroom in the whole nation.

It is strange that there are still classes without PCs for students. If schools have money problems, they can use fundraising and crowdfunding sites like GoFundMe, Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc or sell some of their old stuff like books, book shelves and tables on eBay to earn money to buy computers for classrooms.

Unfortunately, I feel there maybe some classes without PCs in 20 years. Schools sometimes have money problems. Some schools may even sell their old computers and other stuff to earn money for spending on other things like sports teams, a stadium for College football and baseball games, big screen TV for watching sports at a sports stadium, a nicer school bus, bigger parking lots, and other expenses.

It is strange that there are still classes without PCs for students. If schools have money problems, they can use fundraising and crowdfunding sites like GoFundMe, Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc or sell some of their old stuff like books, book shelves and tables on eBay to earn money to buy computers for classrooms.

Unfortunately, I feel there maybe some classes without PCs in 20 years. Schools sometimes have money problems. Some schools may even sell their old computers and other stuff to earn money for spending on other things like sports teams, a stadium for College football and baseball games, big screen TV for watching sports at a sports stadium, a nicer school bus, bigger parking lots, and other expenses.

Not all classes need PCs, granted they can be somewhat helpful but if you're taking a math or accounting class all you need is pen and paper.

Not all classes need PCs, granted they can be somewhat helpful but if you're taking a math or accounting class all you need is pen and paper.

Not having computers in class can also prevent cheating in classes like math, and language classes like English and Spanish.

I worked as a system administrator for some schools.
I can say that it can happen, but if you secure it correctly, it's not necessarily true.

We had tools to monitor 6000+ laptops remotely, take those over, limit what apps or websites they can use or visit, reinstall the laptops, just to name a few.
If done correctly, you can prevent them from cheating in class, even with WiFi access (which they all had any way).
Nothing is perfect, since they can still set up things on new domain names or create a local web hosting, and still be able to cheat that way.

I worked as a system administrator for some schools.
I can say that it can happen, but if you secure it correctly, it's not necessarily true.

We had tools to monitor 6000+ laptops remotely, take those over, limit what apps or websites they can use or visit, reinstall the laptops, just to name a few.
If done correctly, you can prevent them from cheating in class, even with WiFi access (which they all had any way).
Nothing is perfect, since they can still set up things on new domain names or create a local web hosting, and still be able to cheat that way.

A good cheater knows how to get around any kind of obstacle :p

True.
There has been a time they kept setting up some kind of web-based mafia game.
I noticed it each time, and took it down each time again.
After 2 weeks of them setting it up and me taking them down again, they've set up a version that shows on the homepage "Welcome to the (SCHOOL NAME) mafia, we hate (SYSADMIN COMPANY)!".

Meanwhile, we laughed even harder than before.

Back