Are those $200 wireless routers usually not worth the price?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think for most people who live in smaller homes and apartments which are not mansions, or castle sized, $200 wireless routers may not be worth it since a typical $20-50 wireless router is good enough for gaming, video chatting, Netflix, YouTube, and HD video playback online in my experience.

What makes a 200 dollar router better than a 50 dollar one?

Demon_Skeith said:
What makes a 200 dollar router better than a 50 dollar one?
Maybe the features it offers (eg. range, etc). I have a cheap wireless router with no HD video playback, :/ [I was urgently searching for one and it was the best offer atm so I had to get it]

As for the original question.. if you don't need the features, then it's not worth it IMO. 

The appearance of those $200 routers sometimes make people buy them since some of them look very manly with black paint and giant antennaes. Rich people may pay more for Apple Routers because they look expensive. Most expensive routers also have USB ports for plugging in a printer, or USB drive to share files and print from all computers.

I think sometimes the range of expensive routers may not be much better because the local law may limit the range of all wireless devices, so it does not interfere with other signals like radio stations, police walkie talkies, cell phones and other electronics.

Plus, a lot of my neighbors probably are using cheap routers since they are the most popular routers which people buy, and I can usually pick up their signals in my home with my tablets, laptops, and computers.

The internet speeds for basic internet plans costing $10-40 in the US, Canada, etc are still slower where buying a faster wireless router which has faster speeds won't make your internet faster because a lot of internet speeds in North America is still under 10 Mbps which is much slower than older 802.11G routers which max speed is 54Mbps.

I think a lot of uninformed people buy expensive wireless routers thinking it would boost their internet speeds, and make it 300Mbps or faster.

Back