Are video cards which cost 100 dollars or less worth it to use for gaming?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think if you plan on playing older games like World of Warcraft, The Sims, EverQuest, or just meeting the minimum system requirements to play games at lower resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768 then using 100 dollar or cheaper video cards could be worth it compared to using onboard video.

At least, you have more free RAM, and CPU Cycles because the onboard video is off, so it won't be using your RAM, and CPU to run video because you now have a video card to run video.

Sure, when the HD 4770 came out, it was sub 100 and at the time, i was able to run most games on high settings at 1440x900 native res.

If you get a graphics card, make sure its $150+ because anything less than that is bound to be worse than what your computer already has and/or is totally worthless. You should probably just get a new PC.

If you get a graphics card, make sure its $150+ because anything less than that is bound to be worse than what your computer already has and/or is totally worthless. You should probably just get a new PC.

Lol not true, usually most people have intel iGPU and any GPU more than $40 will be better than it.

At lower resolutions, they would definitely be better than the on-board graphics, and as someone said earlier, it would help in taking some load off the CPU. For HD resolutions, a mid-high end card is definitely needed if you want to have a good frame rate and glitch-free gaming.

At lower resolutions, they would definitely be better than the on-board graphics, and as someone said earlier, it would help in taking some load off the CPU. For HD resolutions, a mid-high end card is definitely needed if you want to have a good frame rate and glitch-free gaming.

True but I considered 1440x900 at the time pretty high when I bought my HD 4770.

Back