Are voice speakers like Amazon Echo with built-in voice controlled computers a Fad/Trend?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Voice speakers like Amazon Echo maybe a fad like motion controls like Microsoft Kinect, and Playstation Move. I think the voice commands in Xbox Kinect are rarely used these days.

There are news stories of Voice commands causing a lot of problems, and causing privacy concerns. There are people who accidentally use them, and they don't seem to save much time compared to using a keyboard and mouse to use a device.

I read articles that people are accidentally using voice commands to search for stuff online, a TV or video commercial activated their speaker to search for something. There was a news story of a man who accidentally called the police because he said "Did you call the Sheriff on me? to his wife".

I feel a PC with a microphone, and smartphone or tablet is already good enough for doing voice searches from an app, website, or program. PC and smartphone/tablet users can choose to use different voice command programs, apps, and websites without being stuck to only using Amazon Echo, Siri, Google Now, etc like Voice control speakers made by Amazon, Google, or Apple. It is also easy to hook up a headset mic on a PC and smartphone, so the voice commands maybe more accurate because headset mics are closer to a person's mouth.

There is not a real need to buy a voice control speaker which is always ON and listening, using electricity, and connected to the internet when most users can use their PC or smartphone for voice search, and commands.

Plus, I find using my keyboard, and mouse a lot faster for looking up information online, and using programs because I can use keyboard shortcuts like CTRL-V/Paste or Ctrl-C/copy, use bookmarks on web browsers, or just save a website for viewing offline.

I know there are a lot of people angry because you need more than the dot for it to actually work.

I know there are a lot of people angry because you need more than the dot for it to actually work.

That is disappointing. People may have a better experience using a Windows, Linux, and Android computer with a mic and speaker, and use a free voice control software for doing voice searches, and controlling their electronics and computer with their voice.

That is disappointing. People may have a better experience using a Windows, Linux, and Android computer with a mic and speaker, and use a free voice control software for doing voice searches, and controlling their electronics and computer with their voice.

not sure if you can control stuff in your home with your PC or not. I've only known it to be possible with the Echo and devices that can be sync to it.

not sure if you can control stuff in your home with your PC or not. I've only known it to be possible with the Echo and devices that can be sync to it.

I think it maybe possible if the device maker like a internet connected light switch makes a Windows, Apple Mac, or Linux software for turning stuff on and off, and changing settings like brightness and color with your voice, or pressing a button. But, I feel home stuff like lamps, kitchen appliances, and some electronics uses Echo, smartphones/tablets to control stuff and not use PC.

I seen some videos of people using a cheap Raspberry Pi computer to control stuff with their voice or sound like clapping their hands to do stuff. If you really want to, and have the tech skills and time, you can probably make a PC program and home network which can control most electronics in your home with your voice.

Last edited:
Back