Arena Games: player customizability vs simplicity balance

redka

Credits
How complex should the customization system be in a multiplayer arena game to strike the right balance between that awesome feeling of satisfaction that you get from that certain build with item/spell/talent combination and the dread of complexity beyond comprehension where everything seems unbalanced.

I like the idea of building a character without too many limits of classes that only allow for certain spells to be attained. I'm making a game like that (link in the signature) and I would like to take it further but since it's browser-based most of the feedback and suggestions comes from the very casual crowd of io-type gamers.
And that is not what I'm interested in. I'd like it to be interesting to actual gamers and I'd like to know your opinion about all the things that you feel are essential to make it happen.

I do like a little customization, but if I have to spend an hour going over to settings then it gets a bit silly.

I love customization and lots of different classes/abilities. :)

I'm with D_S on this one. I'm okay with some customizing but when you spend longer doing that than actually play, it takes all the fun out of the game. Or it does in my opinion.

Back