Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Astral Chain will release for the Switch on August 30, 2019:

Just read the game director's interview by kotaku on playing the game in Co-Op mode:

Astral Chain, involves controlling two characters at the same time during combat. The game is not necessarily designed to be played by two people at once, but according to Astral Chain director Takahisa Taura, there is a way to do it that he described as both “challenging” and “really fun.”

One of the playable characters is a police officer who is part of a unit fighting off interdimensional beings called Chimera. The other character is called a Legion: a captured Chimera who has been trained to fight on the side of humans.

“You may have noticed that the characters are connected by a chain,” he said, with the help of the translator present at our interview. “That’s not to say that I have a thing for chains, or anything, but that when you’re controlling two characters, that chain allows you to see where the other character is in relation to the one that you’re controlling.”

One player controlling two characters was what most fascinated Taura, but the idea of including co-op did occur to him as he and his colleagues designed Astral Chain. “I thought as I was developing the game that, of course, it could be made into that kind of system where it could be split up, but generally what I wanted to do is have one player control two characters at the same time,” he explained. “But the Switch actually has this great feature where, obviously, you can detach the Joy-Con and share play. We wanted to take advantage of that as well.”

This resulted in one specific Easter egg of a method to play Astral Chain cooperatively: When the Joy-Cons are removed, Taura explained, the controls for the cop will be on one Joy-Con, with the controls for the Legion on the other. In this way, and only in this way, the game’s dual combat sequences can be played with two people instead of just one.

Taura compared it to Super Mario Galaxy, in which one player can collect star bits while the other plays as Mario. “But this game is different from that,” Taura went on, “Because you don’t just have one person doing assists. Both players actually have to put effort into controlling the characters and playing the game.”

New, +/-10 minutes Japanese trailer is up:

This is probably going to be the best on the switch after it releases. It looks good. It's my most anticipated game for switch.

Back