MisterBobbyPin

Staff member
Credits
$50 Steam Gift Card
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
I don't really have much to say about this film. The opening was really good, but it just kind of became uninteresting the longer it went on.

The biggest issue with film, besides the plot being too similar to A New Hope, would be Poe being removed from the movie after the first thirty minutes (I know he returns). He was honestly the most interesting character and worked well with Finn. They just don't utilize him for whatever reason.

Rey is okay. I kind of just don't care about her all that much. I guess I find Finn and Poe more interesting characters, mostly because they bounce off each other so well.

This movie just kind of exists for me. Luckily I'll have an interesting film to talk about next.

It's a repeat of A New Hope to me with different cinematography. We see new locations, we see new characters. We see the same overarching plot. The conflict had some meaning to it. I did like Keanu Reeves better as a villain than Daisy Ridley as a hero. However, she's still a competent character in terms of relevance and understanding of the world around her in her element. She knows the "meta" of Star Wars, besides being a Jedi or knowing the Sith. In this film, the Mary Sue part isn't relevant. Later on in this trilogy, she is kinda forced into the Jedi role. This movie still had great scenes though.

It's a repeat of A New Hope to me with different cinematography. We see new locations, we see new characters. We see the same overarching plot. The conflict had some meaning to it. I did like Keanu Reeves better as a villain than Daisy Ridley as a hero. However, she's still a competent character in terms of relevance and understanding of the world around her in her element. She knows the "meta" of Star Wars, besides being a Jedi or knowing the Sith. In this film, the Mary Sue part isn't relevant. Later on in this trilogy, she is kinda forced into the Jedi role. This movie still had great scenes though.
Small correction: Keanu Reeves isn't in this movie, Adam Driver plays Kylo Ren.

I think the problem with the flim for me is that...just bland to me. It's hard to describe but I didn't really notice anything special or enjoy any particular scenes.

I don't hate Rey, but I also don't really love her either. That's kind of the film as a whole, it's boring for me

I just didn't really care about a film that tries to be a repackaged version of another movie. It felt soulless if I'm being honest.

Small correction: Keanu Reeves isn't in this movie, Adam Driver plays Kylo Ren.

I think the problem with the flim for me is that...just bland to me. It's hard to describe but I didn't really notice anything special or enjoy any particular scenes.

I don't hate Rey, but I also don't really love her either. That's kind of the film as a whole, it's boring for me

I just didn't really care about a film that tries to be a repackaged version of another movie. It felt soulless if I'm being honest.
Oops. I'm not good with looking up actors for movies or keeping up with them in general. I feel like because the ones after were bad I'm comparing it like kids who got a B on their math test.

Oops. I'm not good with looking up actors for movies or keeping up with them in general. I feel like because the ones after were bad I'm comparing it like kids who got a B on their math test.
You're good, I can understand the mistake, especially because Adam Driver isn't well known, I just wanted to inform you before someone else did.

We were talking about this yesterday and how the sequel trilogy failed to find its mark. It's a situation that reminds me of Supreme Commander 2.

Imaginatively titled, I know, Supreme Commander 2 is the sequel to Supreme Commander and it got a lot of hate. But here's the thing; it was a great game. It was a really superb title. It's just that it was not as good as the original. Great game, shitty sequel.

And that's the same situation as we get with Episodes 7, 8, 9. Great films - all three are really good movies despite allegations of being "woke". But bad sequels. The issue is that Disney erased decades of Expanded Universe stories with the released a TFA. All those books, RPGs, games, and comics which people loved were marked as no longer canon. This pissed off a huge section of Star Wars fans. I was born the year that the original Star Wars was released and went to see Return of the Jedi when I was 6 years old. It was hugely impactive and started a life long obsession with the universe of Star Wars. I had close to 50 books, loads of games, I loved it. The sequels made all that no longer relevant. It's now "Legends" not the Expanded Universe." So many people wanted to hate the sequels.

Additionally, they were compared by association, to one of the most iconic movie series of all time. They has huge boots to fill. It was a big ask. Disney had the financial clout to hire the best in the industry, but the new movies did not capture the magic of the originals.

Furthermore and then I'll stop.... You kinda had to have an understanding of the wider Star Wars setting to fully grasp the sequels. This meant they failed to capture a new audience that hadn't seen Star Wars before. "Chewie, we're home" didn't mean a thing if you didn't know who Han Solo was.

So yeah. Make of that what you will.

We were talking about this yesterday and how the sequel trilogy failed to find its mark. It's a situation that reminds me of Supreme Commander 2.

Imaginatively titled, I know, Supreme Commander 2 is the sequel to Supreme Commander and it got a lot of hate. But here's the thing; it was a great game. It was a really superb title. It's just that it was not as good as the original. Great game, shitty sequel.

And that's the same situation as we get with Episodes 7, 8, 9. Great films - all three are really good movies despite allegations of being "woke". But bad sequels. The issue is that Disney erased decades of Expanded Universe stories with the released a TFA. All those books, RPGs, games, and comics which people loved were marked as no longer canon. This pissed off a huge section of Star Wars fans. I was born the year that the original Star Wars was released and went to see Return of the Jedi when I was 6 years old. It was hugely impactive and started a life long obsession with the universe of Star Wars. I had close to 50 books, loads of games, I loved it. The sequels made all that no longer relevant. It's now "Legends" not the Expanded Universe." So many people wanted to hate the sequels.

Additionally, they were compared by association, to one of the most iconic movie series of all time. They has huge boots to fill. It was a big ask. Disney had the financial clout to hire the best in the industry, but the new movies did not capture the magic of the originals.

Furthermore and then I'll stop.... You kinda had to have an understanding of the wider Star Wars setting to fully grasp the sequels. This meant they failed to capture a new audience that hadn't seen Star Wars before. "Chewie, we're home" didn't mean a thing if you didn't know who Han Solo was.

So yeah. Make of that what you will.
I don't understand what "woke" is even supposed to mean. It just seems like arbitrary attacks on films and shows instead of trying to actually explain the problems a person had with a product.

I'm not really a sequel trilogy fan, but I can at least understand the appeal. My problems mainly stem from the lack of planning and what happens in Episode 9.

You're certainly right about the sequels being placed in a bad spot just in general. Star Wars has had a toxic fan problem since the prequels started coming out. I think they should've filmed all three films at once if I'm being honest, since that way they could've told a more cohesive story.

Back