- Credits
- 58,690
More than 1,100 “Hands Off!” protests and meetings are planned in nationwide demonstrations across all 50 states on Saturday in what organizers say are a response to the dramatic cuts to the federal workforce overseen by Trump adviser and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
“Donald Trump and Elon Musk think this country belongs to them,” the organizers say on their website. “They’re taking everything they can get their hands on, and daring the world to stop them.”
Citing what they see as President Trump’s moves to gut services, including the eventual “slashing” of Social Security and Medicaid, a coalition of more than 150 organizations — including Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Service Employees International Union, the American Civil Liberties Union, League of Women Voters and Greenpeace — will take part in Saturday’s demonstrations.
While mass protests are planned in big cities and small towns across the country, the largest could take place in Washington, D.C., where demonstrators will gather on the National Mall.
“Parking will be limited due to crowd size and location. Attendees are encouraged to take public transit to the National Mall,” organizers said in an email.
The White House Spring Garden Tours that had been scheduled for Saturday were postponed by a day “out of an abundance of caution to ensure the safety of all within proximity to public demonstrations planned near the White House,” the Office of the First Lady said in a Thursday press release.
Protest organizers said on their website that a “core principle” of the demonstrations was “a commitment to nonviolent action,” and held a training session on how to de-escalate tensions with police and counterprotesters.
As of March 29, over 250,000 people had RSVP’d on the “Hands Off!” website that they planned to attend demonstrations. In Florida alone, there are 45 demonstrations planned, including some near Trump’s residence and private golf club in Palm Beach, the Florida Times-Union reported.
Source
“Donald Trump and Elon Musk think this country belongs to them,” the organizers say on their website. “They’re taking everything they can get their hands on, and daring the world to stop them.”
Citing what they see as President Trump’s moves to gut services, including the eventual “slashing” of Social Security and Medicaid, a coalition of more than 150 organizations — including Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Service Employees International Union, the American Civil Liberties Union, League of Women Voters and Greenpeace — will take part in Saturday’s demonstrations.
While mass protests are planned in big cities and small towns across the country, the largest could take place in Washington, D.C., where demonstrators will gather on the National Mall.
“Parking will be limited due to crowd size and location. Attendees are encouraged to take public transit to the National Mall,” organizers said in an email.
The White House Spring Garden Tours that had been scheduled for Saturday were postponed by a day “out of an abundance of caution to ensure the safety of all within proximity to public demonstrations planned near the White House,” the Office of the First Lady said in a Thursday press release.
Protest organizers said on their website that a “core principle” of the demonstrations was “a commitment to nonviolent action,” and held a training session on how to de-escalate tensions with police and counterprotesters.
As of March 29, over 250,000 people had RSVP’d on the “Hands Off!” website that they planned to attend demonstrations. In Florida alone, there are 45 demonstrations planned, including some near Trump’s residence and private golf club in Palm Beach, the Florida Times-Union reported.
Source