Battery?

WitchAssassin

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Username Style
Unlock full profile styling
I've been thinking about the Switch lately. Something I've been pondering has been when you take the console on the go, it will have to have something to power it still even though it's not plugged in to anything. I would think that the controllers and/or screen would have to have their own battery of some kind.

What I've been pondering is what will the life of the battery be? Will it be expensive to replace it?

I think most likely the Tablet part of the Nintendo Switch will have similar battery life to gaming tablets like the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet because the Switch uses a Nvidia Tegra processor and video chip in the tablet.

The Nvidia Shield K1 tablet gets about 5 hours of battery life when gaming according to TechRadar.

The Switch's battery life maybe slightly better because the Switch may use a smaller non-HD or 720P screen with a backlight which is not as bright as tablets like the Nvidia Shield Tablet, so it uses less power than a 8 inch 1080P screen found on the Nvidia Shield tablet, and the Switch may use less powerful speakers, and have less features like Bluetooth, GPS, HD webcams, motion-tracking, light sensor, MicroSD card slot, etc which use up more battery power. The Switches battery maybe bigger, so users can play games longer.

I think the battery in the Switch's tablet won't be easy to replace like most tablets, but the tablet's battery would last for many years like batteries in higher quality tablets like the iPad 2 where the battery and tablet still works after many years of continuous use. User's would most likely need to hire a console repair company to replace the battery if it breaks.

Although, Nintendo may make the Switch's tablet battery replaceable like smartphones and some older tablets and laptops with removable batteries.

The battery life of the controller would probably last many hours if it does not have vibration feedback, or a speaker like the Wiimote. I think it's battery life would be over 30 hours like the wiimote depending on what type and capacity the batteries are on the Switch's controllers.

I would say, it should be a solid ten hours of battery life I hope. But you never know with these companies who cut corners and have things blow up on them.

I'd say we would hopefully be looking at quite good battery life without it being plugged in. Something similar to other gaming tablets would be ideal which I think is around 10 hours of battery life which should be more than enough if you are out and about and on the go with The Switch.

I would say, it should be a solid ten hours of battery life I hope. But you never know with these companies who cut corners and have things blow up on them.

I feel the Nintendo Switch may come with a smaller battery which may not reach 10 hours on medium to high screen brightness. Nintendo could sell the Switch for less money if it comes with a smaller battery.

More kids, teens and young adults could afford the Switch if it is an more affordable price like $250-300.

The Nintendo Switch come with a lot of stuff like two slide-on controllers, a TV dock, cables, charger, etc, so Nintendo may need to find ways to cut cost like using a cheaper screen or smaller battery to keep the Switch affordable for young people who usually don't have much money.

Hopefully, the Switch at least come with a faster charger, so it takes less time to fully charge.

I heard somewhere it has about 3 hours of battery life. Which is a tad worrying, given it's supposed to be Nintendo's new handheld as well as home console.

But hey, hope I'm wrong there.

I heard somewhere it has about 3 hours of battery life. Which is a tad worrying, given it's supposed to be Nintendo's new handheld as well as home console.

But hey, hope I'm wrong there.

3 Hours is kind of low for battery life. Hopefully, the Switch has fast charging capabilities and the charger is small enough to carry around in a small bag or jacket pocket.

I bet, Nintendo, and third-party accessory companies will release a battery case or adapter for the Switch to extend the battery life like those smartphone cases with a built-in battery which can extend a smartphone's battery usage time by many hours more.

The advantages I see with having a smaller battery is the Switch will not cost as much to buy, and it will not be as heavy to hold.

Nintendo maybe sticking to using less powerful batteries for safety reasons to prevent explosions like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery explosions and fires.

Back