Beware Conficker worm come April 1

GAMER_NOW

Credits
Beware Conficker worm come April 1
Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:21PM EDT
See Comments (90)

Buzz up!
on Yahoo!
In an event that hits the computer world only once every few years, security experts are racing against time to mitigate the impact of a bit of malware which is set to wreak havoc on a hard-coded date. As is often the case, that date is April 1.

Malware creators love to target April Fool's Day with their wares, and the latest worm, called Conficker C, could be one of the most damaging attacks we've seen in years.

Conficker first bubbled up in late 2008 and began making headlines in January as known infections topped 9 million computers. Now in its third variant, Conficker C, the worm has grown incredibly complicated, powerful, and virulent... though no one is quite sure exactly what it will do when D-Day arrives.

Thanks in part to a quarter-million-dollar bounty on the head of the writer of the worm, offered by Microsoft, security researchers are aggressively digging into the worm's code as they attempt to engineer a cure or find the writer before the deadline. What's known so far is that on April 1, all infected computers will come under the control of a master machine located somewhere across the web, at which point anything's possible. Will the zombie machines become denial of service attack pawns, steal personal information, wipe hard drives, or simply manifest more traditional malware pop-ups and extortion-like come-ons designed to sell you phony security software? No one knows.

Conficker is clever in the way it hides its tracks because it uses an enormous number of URLs to communicate with HQ. The first version of Conficker used just 250 addresses each day -- which security researchers and ICANN simply bought and/or disabled -- but Conficker C will up the ante to 50,000 addresses a day when it goes active, a number which simply can't be tracked and disabled by hand.

At this point, you should be extra vigilant about protecting your PC: Patch Windows completely through Windows Update and update your anti-malware software as well. Make sure your antivirus software is actually running too, as Conficker may have disabled it.

Microsoft also offers a free online safety scan here, which should be able to detect all Conficker versions.

Source

BTW, someone said the scan doesn't work with firefox.

hmmmm, weird that it happens on April first.....

We know nothing of its written code but know that it executes complete control over infected hardware on April's fools day. This sounds like something that could only be discovered through a (//) comment in a C++ program code of the virus itself. Then again the creator may not have used that to write it... Not sure what to think of this.

QUOTE (GAMER_NOW @ March 25, 2009 08:09 pm) I want to know how they got this information in the first place.
same, and how they know it goes down on the April 1st (April fools day)

More on this story

Based on that, there's been a few incidents possibly related to the worm that happened over a month ago. And there's a link on that page on Microsoft trying to find out who's behind it.

In case you need the removal tool for the Conflicker worm, here it is:

Conflicker Removal Tool

Just make sure that your firewall is always on, and your antivirus software is up to date.

Right now I'm taking a precautionary measure in backing up my files on my family's desktop PC, should the Conflicker breaks in and does any damage.

It is suspicious but they only know about it because people have already been infected by it. The big hit is suppose to be on April 1st.

It happens every year.

Try going to a security site like McAfee or try to go to Microsoft Update. If you can't do either one of those tasks, then it's likely Conflicker is on your PC preventing you from going to those places.

Okay, how many of you have updated since August? Thats Vista SP1, I know I have, protected
winking0056.gif

This doesn't effect me. I have free firewall that is god at preventing things like this. If you guys need a firewall goto PC Tools Firewall Plus. It works wonders. Its free and works really well. Only problem I have had with it is that on occasion when a new update comes out the program will lock up or something and not work right. Just redownload and reinstall it and it works fine though. Only happens about once a year maybe. It has nice program filter that works well though. Sometimes not best for PC gaming so on/off switch is used to play a few games online.

Also a note for anyone who thinks they have this. There are a few simple ways to remove things like this. One way is just to take it off the start up menu. By going to start > Run >msconfig And another way is to goto registry editor and find it in a startup cuz sometimes it will replicate itself back into msconfig start up if you don't remove it from registry and the cycle will begin again. After removing it though it will be gone for good if you have internet protection.

My computer seems fine as well . I got all the latest patches, firewall , and anti virus def.

Back