Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
With the prerelease controversy, release, and success of Grand Theft Auto IV, the issue of video game ratings and their enforcement is once again at the forefront of the public consciousness. Yesterday, Rep. Lee Terry (R-NE) and Jim Matheson (D-UT) introduced the Video Games Ratings Enforcement Act into the House of Representatives to try to force retailers into checking identification when selling M-rated games. Retailers caught selling M-rated titles to minors will be subjected to a $5,000 fine from the Federal Trade Commission.
Related Stories

* Massachusetts lawmakers debate ill-advised video game law
* Gamers get political action group
* Appeals court upholds unconstitutionality of Illinois video game law
* Media Coalition joins fight against California videogame law

The language and statements released by the bipartisan pair are unsurprisingly out of touch with the reality of most games. "The images and themes in some video games are shocking and troublesome. In some games high scores are often earned by players who commit 'virtual' murder, assault and rape. Many young children are walking into stores and are able to buy or rent these games without their parents even knowing about it," said Rep. Terry. "This bill requires an ID check before certain games are sold to an individual. This ensures that children can only access age appropriate content without parental permission. Families and children everywhere deserve the protection this legislation will provide."

more here

5,000 dollars? Man, that's rough a bit.

I wonder if the Video Game Voter's Network knows about this, I still believe education is the way to decide what games are appropriate for gamers, not regulation.

Those gamers over in Massachusetts need to unite and protest or something, and fight back.

heres what they should do 1. educate them like Mr.K said. 2. take all the M rated games off the shelve and put them in the back where the only way you could get to them is by showing the store manger a ID card or drivers license showing your age and after that it's up to that person and the parents.

Education is the most important part. I worked in retail for years before becoming a nurse. Parents would come in asking to M rated games for their 10 year olds all the time. I always asked them if they knew what they were buying for their kids (most of them didn't realize it). I would show them the back of the case that shows what the rating is and why it has that rating. Most of them would then ask me what I would suggest for their kid. A few of them still bought the games anyway.

Back