Multi BitSummit 7 Spirits' Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night Producer, Koji Igarashi Interview

cm2

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Main points of the interview translated by Gematsu:

maxresdefault.jpg

There are a number of features due out post-release—two additional characters, four different modes, and multiplayer for certain modes. Is there a timeline you can share as to when these features will be added?

Igarashi:
“The publisher will announce it so I can’t say anything about those features.”

Bloodstained-Interview_06-04-19_004.jpg

Bloodstained-Interview_06-04-19_002.jpg

Would you say you were able to make Bloodstained the way you envisioned it to be? Compared to the Castlevania series?

Igarashi:
“Well… most of the games I made, I was fortunate enough to have a lot of creative freedom. Though, in the past titles had some limitations because it was an established series. For instance, there was criticism when we decided to stab a Belmont in the game. It all comes down that there are always fans of the series, who have their own images of the characters, their own images of the game world, and we had to be careful not to make anything that goes against that. Though this time, we were building from scratch, it was both a difficult and pleasant experience.”

How much of Castlevania would you say you injected into Bloodstained, while still creating an individual identity for Bloodstained?

Igarashi:
“There are no elements of Catslevania in the story. In the gameplay, however, there are definitely elements that will remind you of Castlevania. When we launched the Kickstarter campaign, we discussed what our audience would want from an Igarashi title, and I thought they would probably want a ‘gothic horror’ experience. At least not something that’s sci-fi or something set in the future. Therefore, the elements will be similar to an extent, but we took care to distinguish this game from Castlevania.”

What would you say makes Bloodstained standout from Castlevania?

Igarashi:
“The Shard system is very flashy, so its should stand out a lot.”

Can you talk a bit about how you created the boss fights?

Igarashi:
“Well, the director, which is my right hand man, had things he wanted to do for the boss fights. And I also had my own ideas. So we started from trying to the things we wanted to do. Especially, one feature we wanted to do was to use the boss’s abilities to expand the area. So obviously the boss fights got structured around that mechanic.”

How long is a single play through?

Igarashi:
“Including some time to get lost, it should take about 10 or more hours.”

Is that without the added elements?

Igarashi:
“That’s right. The enemies and bosses are quite tough this time.”

How tough?

Igarashi:
“Uhhh… this time we wanted to lower the difficulty. The past series got harder and harder as it progressed, so we wanted to make it easier this time. Although getting feedback from various places, the difficulty has been going up and down. So I guess, if you only use the weapons it might feel hard, but if you utilize the Shard system, it will become significantly easier.”

Back