froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Former smartphone giant Blackberry has said it will no longer manufacture its own devices. Instead it intends to outsource hardware making to development partners, although the core focus of its business is firmly on software services at this point.

Quitting manufacturing will allow the company to reduce capital requirements and enhance return on invested capital, said CEO John Chen today (via StreetInsider), reporting its Q2 fiscal 2017 results.

Blackberry had already launched one rebranded third party smartphone handset, the DTEK50, with hardware made by Alcatel — and Google’s Android OS being the software core.

Read More

It is unfortunate that Blackberry will outsource its hardware development to another company instead of hiring North Americans to create more jobs for Canadians, and Americans which a lot of local workers desperately need.

Most likely, using an outsourcing company is used to save money, and time by re-using phone designs from other phone makers like Alcatel, and using Google Android as the OS.

I feel some people maybe willing to pay slightly more money for a high quality Blackberry Android phone designed by Canadian, and American workers.

Unfortunate news, kind of a bad move really.

Unfortunate news, kind of a bad move really.

I agree, it is a bad move. It is also sad since Blackberry was the last North American business smartphone maker to still design phones in North America until recently.

I think Apple is the only big American phone maker which still designs phones in North America now that Blackberry is using Alcatel to design phones, and Motorola got sold to Lenovo which is a Chinese tech company, and Lenovo is no longer hiring as many American workers from Motorola.

Back