Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A GameStop source has told Kotaku that, given the relative failure of the company's push into online PC sales via its purchase of Impulse, it's now trying something a little more practical. Namely, selling Steam vouchers in its bricks-and-mortar stores.
After all, if you can't beat 'em, skim a little of their money off the top instead.

The vouchers will apparently go on sale on May 15, and are reportedly a "kind of a sensitive issue" between GameStop and Valve owing to the fact it's an awkward way for either party to be making money.

We've contacted Valve to confirm, and will update if we hear back.

source

I think this kind of defeats the purpose of Steam (pay online, and download install your game on your home computer from Steam) since you can just buy the physical PC game disc at Gamestop for a slightly higher or the same price in the PC game section instead at Gamestop. It would make more sense for Steam to sell Games via disc at Gamestop at the same price as online games sold on steam, so the user won't have to go home, and download the game with the voucher code, and can just use the Data on the disc to install the game.

It seems kind of time consuming to buy a voucher for Steam to use on your computer to download a steam game to install on your computer.

I think this kind of defeats the purpose of Steam (pay online, and download install your game on your home computer from Steam) since you can just buy the physical PC game disc at Gamestop for a slightly higher or the same price in the PC game section instead at Gamestop. It would make more sense for Steam to sell Games via disc at Gamestop at the same price as online games sold on steam, so the user won't have to go home, and download the game with the voucher code, and can just use the Data on the disc to install the game.

It seems kind of time consuming to buy a voucher for Steam to use on your computer to download a steam game to install on your computer.

Agreed but I think this will definitely let some console store buyers know that PC is in the gaming battle as well ;)

I wonder if anyone will buy them online, and have them shipped to their house, so they can use the voucher codes on Steam when it arrives to their home which might make it more expensive because shipping and handling is not free.

Back