Can a $100-200 computer be good enough to use a web browser at a good speed?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think that some $100-200 computers are good enough to use a web browser at a good speed.

But, if the operating system on cheap computer is Windows 7-10, there would be some speed problems when using a web browser because Windows doesn't work very well on 1-2GB RAM in my experience. 1-2GB of RAM is still very common on a lot of cheaper computers which cost $200 or less.

Linux based operating systems like Linux Mint, Chrome OS, Arch and Debian Linux runs most web browsers at a fast speed even when there is less RAM, and a slower CPU.

I don't see why not, most browsers today can run on anything simple.

I'm sure browsers nowadays are great on whatever laptop/computer.

If a smartphone can do it then yeah. You will have no problems with it at all.

I guest, if you buy a used/refurbished desktop PCs, you can sometimes get a fast computer which can handle running web browsers, and run more intensive Flash, Java, Unity Web Player, and HTML5 games with 3D graphics, and special effects like reflections, and realistic textures and lighting.

Some people cheaply selling their older desktops which are still fast, and replacing them with a faster Gaming Desktop computers, laptops, and tablet.

Well, I guess you could run a browser with up to three tabs smoothly on a $100-200 computer, but that would pretty much be it. You wouldn't be able to have 10 tabs opened all the time, like I'm used to have.

Well, I guess you could run a browser with up to three tabs smoothly on a $100-200 computer, but that would pretty much be it. You wouldn't be able to have 10 tabs opened all the time, like I'm used to have.

I think if you use a lightweight web browser like Slimjet, Slim Browser, Epiphany/ Web or Midori, and disable Flash, JavaScript, Java, and your extensions, and add-ons, you maybe able to have 10 tabs open. But, most websites won't work, or display properly because some websites need JavaScript to load video, change pages, and animation like HTML5 animation.

Switching to a lightweight operating system like Lubuntu, Puppy Linux, Chrome OS and Tiny Core Linux will increase the amount of free RAM and CPU cycles for running a web browsers, browser add-ons, and plugins more smoothly.

It all depends on what's in it..

I wouldn't limit it to the price of the computer rather than the parts used inside it..

I have seen pc built for $100 or less than can run laps around an Apple computer that is 5x that.

And the same goes for Android phones vs. IPhones..

Many people get hung up on the price of an item and assume that it is worth more than something cheaper and more often than not that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I can pick up a raspberry pi with Android or whatever for a lower cost and small size device to put it in a human being pocket that will have around 10 tabs open at one time. I had over 5 tabs open and playing Youtube videos years ago on a 5 year old shitty Toshiba laptop and that went with no problems.

I can pick up a raspberry pi with Android or whatever for a lower cost and small size device to put it in a human being pocket that will have around 10 tabs open at one time. I had over 5 tabs open and playing Youtube videos years ago on a 5 year old shitty Toshiba laptop and that went with no problems.

I read online that the new Raspberry Pi 3 is a lot faster than older versions of the Pi, so I think it may make a good web browsing PC.

I agree a lot of older desktops, and laptops are still pretty good for web browsing with 5 or more tabs open, and playing online video.

Raspberry Pi 3 is smaller powerful enough with HDMI and WiFi and other new add-on

Back