Can video games be too realistic?

hades_leae

Full GL Member
Credits
It's nice to see the industry evolve to super realistic gaming. I remember playing Call of Duty and my grandma asked me what movie was I watching. The game was on one of the cut scenes and when I started to play, she was wondering what this movie story was about, and I told her it was a video game, she said no that's Netflix or something.

It's amazing, but can they get too realistic? Should the future hold more innovative game stories rather than trying to be too realistic?

Maybe they can. The virtual reality is starting to spread. Maybe through that lens, we can play a game with realistic design, yes? To be honest though, I don't have any problem if it's too realistic that might be better for me but not my system unit. Haha.

It is amazing at how realistic gaming has become, but I do miss the old gaming look.

They will get much more realistic. Oh yes. There is plenty of room to improve the soundscape of games, and there will always be more fancy visual fidelity we can achieve. But there will be a new frontier when it comes to realism that will only truly be explored when we get VR. Interacting with the world will be much more important than how pretty it looks.

I mean, to me COD looks pretty, yes. To an untrained eye it certainly looks like a movie, or a photo (and Star Wars Battlefront definitely pushed this). But it certainly tends to fall apart once you stop for a second to do anything but shoot in it, and VR has demonstrated that, once you are in there, interaction with the world matters much more than just how pretty it was. Or, to put it another way: that waist-high wall we can't go over because videogames.

Particularly, I remember this video. To me, it provided a glimpse at just what we may have in the future and this other frontier to realism beyond graphical fidelity.

Every few years, new Nvidia and AMD GPUs iterations are launched, game engines become more advanced - better AI, perfomance, more detailed textures etc.- and Direct3D adds even more features for multimedia purposes. Definitely, videogames are getting more realistic. Call of Duty only gives a realistic impression for the graphics but in fact the game itself is just an arcade first person shooter for multiplayer mayhem and over the top straightforward campaigns.

Realistic games are not only like real life physics, smooth texture borders and more dynamic glow,shadows and lights but sentient AI. For me, a game with mediocre graphics but showing an exceptional display of advanced AI prowess can be pretty much realistic. RTS games are as realistic as a Michael Bay film, but the AI is so advanced there that they can be just mindblowing.

I think that it depends on the person, I guess, because people who are not really used to them may think that they are too realistic but for people who play them frequently it's a normal thing. In my opinion, I do think that they are really realistic nowadays, have you seen the bloody scenes in some video games? or the quality of animation on horror video games? It always blows my mind away! :eek:

They will only look more and more realistic.I got to a point where I can't really tell if its a scene from a game or a movie.They look so good you can't really tell a difference.This will be harder as time goes by and maybe we will get to a point where graphics would look exactly like in real life

I think the first instance I ever saw with this was when my brother was playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and I asked him what movie he was watching and he told me it was a video game. I was astounded that video game graphics had almost become lifelike. Technology has come a long way and it won't be stopping anytime soon. I guess it's a good thing that games are getting more realistic, but I do miss the days when you could distinctly tell when a video game was being played.

Yeah I do think video games can be too realistic at a certain point. I'm assuming you're just talking about graphics. If the game is extremely violent, and I'm someone who likes gory games, after a point if a game is too realistic it will actually feel like you watching yourself kill people. That's realistic to the point where it is just unpleasant. Also if horror games became extremely realistic it could seriously mess with a person's mind to undergo the experience. So yeah I love the fact that graphics have gotten so good but developers need to make sure that what they're making isn't so realistic that it becomes unpleasant.

Yes, it's very possible for video games to be too realistic, and they will become even more realistic in the near future, with all the holographic and 3D technology that's in development.

People don't appreciate GTA 5 enough in my opinion especially on PC. Some of the scenes are just so realistic, it's almost like you're watching a film. The level of detail is immense

People don't appreciate GTA 5 enough in my opinion especially on PC. Some of the scenes are just so realistic, it's almost like you're watching a film. The level of detail is immense
A lot of what happens in GTA V is very.. unrealistic. If you want realism, look no further than Arma III. It's basically a war simulator.

Well, some people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between games and movies sometimes.

I suppose games can be too realistic but that's what is good about them.

I can tell the difference between video games and reality....just like with everything else. I know there may be some games that have really good graphics, especially with how they have been made recently. But no matter how well a game is made, I know there is a difference between that game and what is real.

Back