Staff member
Full GL Member
Credits
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card

We all know this. No one is able to play the games on their own without spending their life savings. The entertainment software association gives no friks. They have lobbyists to prevent the preservation of games. Their argument is they have remote access from libraries. However, try playing a Nintendo 3DS game like Kid Icarus Uprising without piracy. The average person cannot afford access to the game libraries not provided, combined with the console of choice to play them. No kid is going to know what a Gamecube is if they never grew up with it, so they will never experience Melee without piracy. When the only option to play is made illegal by the lack of affordability made by a secondhand market, you know it's a problem.

It is sad that companies don't cater to classic games, so more people can play them for an affordable price, or for free on a website.

If you had a 3DS to play it with.
They're cheaper than a Switch.

I can get a 3DS and Kid Icarus Uprising for under $200. The Switch Lite is $200 brand new with no games. If we talk about the second hand prices of a Switch Lite and a used game, then that's no different than buying a used 3DS and a used game.

It's not hard to find this stuff second hand online, and unless you're only looking for "boutique" items, this stuff is a lot cheaper than modern gaming. If we're talking about Sega Saturn collecting, or PS1 RPG's that aren't made by Square, then yeah, those second hand prices are ridiculous. The examples of Kid Icarus with a 3DS or a Gamecube (including the cables and 2 controllers) and a copy of Melee aren't very compelling.

Here's some quick eBay searches for a 3DS and Kid Icarus:
KAzbmFB.png

pHBAd3Q.png

Wow, breaking the bank here.

Let's look at Melee:
Here's a console with all the cables, 2 controllers, and a memory card for $50
Here's a disc only copy of Melee also for $50

I spent more time posting those links than I did on the eBay searches.

Last edited:
It is sad that companies don't cater to classic games, so more people can play them for an affordable price, or for free on a website.

No gaming company is looking at giving free games unless they find a way to have micro transactions in-game.

No gaming company is looking at giving free games unless they find a way to have micro transactions in-game.

I think some game companies give away paid games for a limited time to get free publicity, or to promote their other games with ads on their games and websites.

I think some game companies give away paid games for a limited time to get free publicity, or to promote their other games with ads on their games and websites.

Yeah, they do. I've gotten myself but it's not when the game's are launched.

Back