Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 controversy

lb

愛してるザラ
Full GL Member
Credits
http://nerdist.com/is-video-game-censorship-dead-or-alive-in-the-us/

There’s been a controversy looming over the game Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, which found its way into headlines after Team Ninja’s community manager blamed internet backlash for the game not releasing in the US. There’s been a number of folks against this decision, claiming that backlash should never influence developer decision. The company’s publisher, Koei Tecmo, responded saying that the move is simply a business strategy, but there’s something to be said about the Team Ninja employee’s intriguing comment on the matter.

Do you think Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 is being poorly handled by not being released in the states?

The whole thing is hypocrisy, they make a ecchi breast jiggling game but say they won't release it elsewhere due to backlash? Then why even make the game in the first place? Since they are a well establish company who has already done this before, I see no risk in releasing it state side. I think they just don't want to mess with the localization process and just using a excuse to hide that fact.

As someone who utterly despises the censorship obsessed SJW types ruining gaming, I'm pretty annoyed that this game isn't being released outside of Japan. Not because I'd play it, but because it implies that video games are a less 'artistic' medium than any other and should somehow be more censored. This stuff would be completely fine in say, a TV show or movie...

The game series has been released and sold in the past here without any sort of uproar. The publisher chose not to release it this time because they felt that the hyper sensitive "social justice" crusaders would cry about it and make a huge fuss. So they decided to try avoiding an uproar by simply not releasing it here.

Then Play-asia heard about this and decided to import copies. SJWs heard about this and boycotted the site. But in doing so they caused Play-asia's twitter account to gain a huge number of followers. (Something like from 9,000 followers to 25,000 almost overnight.) And so many heard of this game and decided to order a copy from Play-asia that Play-asia was able to drop the cost of importing down from $73 to $60.

And, as if to rub some salt into the SJW's wounds, Play-asia then thanked all the gamers for choosing them and restated their determination to providing what gamers wanted. (So... in a nut shell they said that if gamers want a game, they'll stock it. And they'll sell it to whomever wants to pay. But if you try to stop someone from having the choice to buy, don't expect much sympathy or support from them.)

The game series has been released and sold in the past here without any sort of uproar. The publisher chose not to release it this time because they felt that the hyper sensitive "social justice" crusaders would cry about it and make a huge fuss. So they decided to try avoiding an uproar by simply not releasing it here.

Then Play-asia heard about this and decided to import copies. SJWs heard about this and boycotted the site. But in doing so they caused Play-asia's twitter account to gain a huge number of followers. (Something like from 9,000 followers to 25,000 almost overnight.) And so many heard of this game and decided to order a copy from Play-asia that Play-asia was able to drop the cost of importing down from $73 to $60.

And, as if to rub some salt into the SJW's wounds, Play-asia then thanked all the gamers for choosing them and restated their determination to providing what gamers wanted. (So... in a nut shell they said that if gamers want a game, they'll stock it. And they'll sell it to whomever wants to pay. But if you try to stop someone from having the choice to buy, don't expect much sympathy or support from them.)

Is the game subbed though to warrant such a large import? Or do more people know Japanese than I thought?

The game actually has full subtitling for English, Japanese and Chinese. (Even though it's an Asian release they include English for some reason... I guess there are a lot of people who read English in China, Japan and other Asian countries. Either that or they did it specifically so it could be easily imported.)

Companies tone down or censor all the time so they can hit that all-important T or M rating from the ESRB.

Back