Did Skyward Sword live up to your expectations?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, now the hype for the game has died down a bit, I'll ask the obvious question; did the game meet your expectations? Is it as good as all Nintendo's marketing tried to say it was, the 40 odd hour epic that would redefine the series and motion controls?

Or was it a disappointment. Heck, maybe some people even preferred the old style controls and game structure.

So what do you now think of Skyward Sword?

It exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting much, but what I got was an epic adventure far superior to the others I've experienced.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At the time, I was so immersed in the game and loving every second of it. Now that I've had some time to step back and think about it though, maybe I was overlooking many of the game's flaws due to my own hype. Sure, the controls were amazing and I really enjoyed the handling of the game, but as far as the longer epic went, it actually had far fewer side quests and mini games (most of the games they did have were more luck than skill too). Ghirahim was, imho, a very weak and annoying main boss and the repetitiveness of boss battles killed a lot of the replay value. 3 different bosses you fight at least twice (and more if you do the boss challenges). Over and over I was just fetching something and coming back.

The dungeons were great, but there was so little time spent in them. The relationship and characterization around Zelda, Link, and Impa were among the best of the series, but almost all others characters had flat personalities that never developed or even had a resolution to their inherent dilemmas (think of all the gratitude crystal choice quests and how most none of them ended in a resolute way, but left characters upset about something else until the end of the game). And speaking of the end of the game, the final boss was little more than a "try not to hit his sword" guessing game (unless you used a goddess potion, costing only 200 ruppees, after which you pretty much automatically win the game).

It was a good game, it really was, but it just doesn't make me want to keep playing like so many of the other Zelda games in the past do.

I thought it felt like a Greek Epic, and had a much grander sense of scale than any other Zelda game preceding it. The fact that you were ALWAYS destined to become this Hero, before you were even born. And Ghirahim's speeches not remembering your name, and Impa's chastisement made the whole story feel much bigger than just you. So yeah, big thumbs up on story and world.
However, and there is a however, it doesn't change the series as much as Nintendo were leading to us believe. And I think the main area was dungeon design. Aonuma specifically sais he didn't want dungeons to be so enclosed, he wanted them to feel big, and there's really only one dungeon that does that, in my most humble opinion. (Fire Sanctuary, in case anyone's wondering). He also said he didn't want them to be necessarily guarded by bosses, again, only one dungeon does that. (Sky Keep). So, aside from that niggle, it was a great game that fulfilled my expectations and in some cases, exceeded them (cutscenes).

Long story short. Yes. I loved it.

Please elaborate.

I thought it felt like a Greek Epic, and had a much grander sense of scale than any other Zelda game preceding it. The fact that you were ALWAYS destined to become this Hero, before you were even born. And Ghirahim's speeches not remembering your name, and Impa's chastisement made the whole story feel much bigger than just you. So yeah, big thumbs up on story and world.
However, and there is a however, it doesn't change the series as much as Nintendo were leading to us believe. And I think the main area was dungeon design. Aonuma specifically sais he didn't want dungeons to be so enclosed, he wanted them to feel big, and there's really only one dungeon that does that, in my most humble opinion. (Fire Sanctuary, in case anyone's wondering). He also said he didn't want them to be necessarily guarded by bosses, again, only one dungeon does that. (Sky Keep). So, aside from that niggle, it was a great game that fulfilled my expectations and in some cases, exceeded them (cutscenes).

Interesting point about it being like a Greek epic.

Also, I have to say you're right, it wasn't quite as 'new' as they promised it would be. I mean, there's still the general overworld/dungeon structure and the dungeons were still enclosed (although in some cases like the Sky Keep, Sandship and Minining Facility, it's not like the theme gives you much choice in this respect).

It went past my expectations, but I hated the game play. It felt unresponsive at times, which killed me some times, but I liked the story. It still doesn't beat Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time though.

True, but c'mon "Skyview Temple"? The name was an invitation for a broader dungeon design, instead we got twisting corridors and blue mushrooms...

It's definetly not as good as fans make it sound.

Back