cm2

Full GL Member
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Discord's co-founder says that the app was created to have a better way to talk about Final Fantasy XI with friends.

"When I was a student, I was obsessed with FF11 , and I made something like a prototype of Discord as software that could be used while playing the game. From there, I moved to California and joined a company called GREE, where I met co-founder Jason Citron. I thought it would be nice to make the communication tool we created available to even more people, so I started developing Discord in earnest," Vishnevsky said.

Skype and other programs just didn't cut it--Discord was meant to be a kind of forum/chat system that allowed for ease of use, queryable searches, and intuitive voice chatting.

"At that time, there were voice chat apps such as Skype, bulletin boards, and phone numbers. However, there was no system that allowed you to use them simply.

"We had a vision of making Discord not just a tool, but something like a 'living room where you can be with your friends.' We wanted to create a place in that living room where you could play games with your friends and share exciting moments. I think that it was because of this desire that Discord became something special."

And then it blew up to be bigger than Skype ever was.

Its strange we did have something similar called Google Talk where like Discord but UI was old let me see if I can find it it got shut down around 2009

Reactions: cm2
Back