Disney's Mulan Live Action

oh nice. Shame this isn't airing in theaters though.

I've seen a lot of posts about boycotting the movie because of the main actress' comments on Hong Kong. I'm not sure what to think about that yet but I won't be paying to watch it early. Especially since it will be free in December

Read from CBR Mulan is doing good overseas so far:

While Disney has yet to report its Disney+ earnings -- or losses -- on their exclusive streaming sales of Mulan, the film's international box office sales brought in a strong $5.9M in revenue this weekend from Croatia, Czech Republic, the Middle East, Slovakia, Turkey, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand. Mulan also debuted #1 at the box office in Malaysia, Singapore, UAE and Thailand.

According to Deadline, Niko Caro's Mulan received "the largest opening weekend to date in Singapore and Thailand" and also premiered second at the box office in Taiwan and Saudi Arabia. It's worth adding that in the markets that Mulan performed well, all of them but Taiwan are currently observing seating capacity restrictions. Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, theaters overseas reduced seating capacity by a "30%-50% range" this weekend, which has likely impacted Mulan's ability to gain revenue internationally and as quickly as other film releases have done in prior summers.

Read from CBR :

Actress Ming-Na Wen, the original animated voice of Disney's Mulan, revealed how her surprise cameo in the 2020 live-action remake was shortened due to scheduling conflicts with filming the last season of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"At that time, I was doing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so scheduling-wise it was kind of a logistical nightmare because Mulan was shooting in New Zealand. They had written a scene for me to be a part of, but the schedule just didn’t work out."

Wen said that initially she was supposed to play a "potential mother-in-law for the matchmaker scene," but that would have required a stay in New Zealand for a month. "The producers of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just threw up their hands and said, 'We can’t lose you for a month!' I totally understood, and I'm always very Zen about this stuff. I said, 'Look, if it was meant to be, it was meant to be.' We all tried, and it's too bad."

Eventually, Reed and Mulan director Niki Caro reached back out to Wen and came up with a role that would only require her for a week of filming, rather than a month. The role they settled on for her to play was that of an "Esteemed Guest" who briefly appears to introduce Mulan (Yifei Liu) to the Chinese Emperor (Jet Li) at the end of the movie. On the symbolic nature of her appearance, Wen described it as "very appropriate and just wonderful, a little Easter egg where I could pass the baton."

Back