Do you buy devices with less internal storage like 8GB mobile or 500GB PC/Console to save money?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I sometimes buy the cheapest model of a device like a tablet which only has 8 or 16 GB of internal storage space. I find that 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB smartphones and tablets can cost a lot more than the 8 and 16 GB versions.

If I need more space, I rather buy a $40 128GB MicroSD card which I can always re-use when I buy a new tablet, or smartphone.

I would most likely buy a 500GB game console since some game consoles which come with 1000GB/1TB of space are more expensive than upgrading to a 1TB hard drive by myself.

Depends on what I need the device for, gaming wise that is so PS1 era for 8GB.

500GB is more than enough for a PC.

Depends on what I need the device for, gaming wise that is so PS1 era for 8GB.

500GB is more than enough for a PC.

I think the PS1 and PS2 memory cards had only a few MBs of space.

I remember there were 20GB versions of the original fat PS3. Some people bought the 20GB version, and upgraded the hard drive themselves to save money. There is also a cheaper Super Slim version of the PS3 which only has 12GB of flash memory storage, but you can install your own hard drive when you need more space. A used Super Slim PS3 12GB cost about $125-150 on eBay.

I agree 500GB is enough space for most PC. Most tower desktop computers also have more hard drive slots on the case, and hard drive Sata ports, so installing an extra hard drive is possible. There are also hard drive imaging/cloning software which let you easily clone the data on an old hard drive to a new hard drive very quickly. But, you would need an external hard drive, or server to save the hard drive image file to if you don't have room for two hard drives on your desktop or laptop computer.

I think the PS1 and PS2 memory cards had only a few MBs of space.

I remember there were 20GB versions of the original fat PS3. Some people bought the 20GB version, and upgraded the hard drive themselves to save money. There is also a cheaper Super Slim version of the PS3 which only has 12GB of flash memory storage, but you can install your own hard drive when you need more space. A used Super Slim PS3 12GB cost about $125-150 on eBay.

I agree 500GB is enough space for most PC. Most tower desktop computers also have more hard drive slots on the case, and hard drive Sata ports, so installing an extra hard drive is possible. There are also hard drive imaging/cloning software which let you easily clone the data on an old hard drive to a new hard drive very quickly. But, you would need an external hard drive, or server to save the hard drive image file to if you don't have room for two hard drives on your desktop or laptop computer.

this is what the PS1 had:

https://gaminglatest.com/threads/found-my-old-ps1-memory-card.71667/

For gaming console I usually go for the biggest storage. I am not a fan of opening open the consoles myself. For other devices it depends on the difference of prices and how easy or difficult is to get external drives such as SD cards or USB attachments. For SD/micro/etc cards it also depends if the dispositive has a limit on which ones it can recognise.

To save up money?
No way!
I would rather spend more money up front rather than cursing myself for getting stuff like that later.
I have a 16 gb storage phone...and it's never enough for me ;_;

Back