Do you buy Operating Systems without a computer?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
No I do not buy Windows OS without a computer, Operating Systems cost too much if I buy them a lone without a computer. For example, the retail box copy of Windows Vista costs like $260 for the full version, and $130 for the upgrade version which is too much to pay for software.

Actually, I never bought a PC in my life since all of my PC are Gifts from family members or "Hand you down" PC which were free.

You can always buy an OEM copy of a new OS, but OEM don't come with any support from MS or the computer maker. Plus, you need to buy a piece of hardware like a mouse, fan, power supply, case, CPU, etc.

I just buy a new Windows OS when I buy a new computer since it is cheaper. You can buy a pretty good computer for $500 and it comes with an OS.

Plus, all the hardware and software that come with the computer should be compatible with the new Windows OS, so you do not have to worry about incompatible drivers, and software.

But, if you really want to save money on a OS, I recommend learning how to use Ubuntu, Fedora, etc since they are free.

I have never bought an OS, it's just way to much money for something that will die from some mistake that is bound to happen

I have never bought a OS or computer for the same reasons frog says. But if I was getting a OS I would just go out and get a new computer with the OS on it.

It kind of stinks these days that most major computer makers don't supply you with an Recovery disk for your OS, but expect you to burn your own recovery disk.

Hmmm, this gives me an idea for a tutorial for my website.

I think you can also transfer an OS license to a new computer, but you have to phone up MS, and reactivate it.

I like Linux. It is Free and you can install it on as many PC as you can.

That it is, but there are versions of that, which aren't free. I just patched up my old XP SP1 to Service Pack 3, modded some stuff, and it's kinda sexy now.

I've never bought an OS before, I would buy the PCs that have one preinstalled. The only time I would have to buy one is that my OS is outdated or have to update to a more efficient one.

QUOTE (Spiritwarrior @ May 10, 2009 10:23 pm) I've never bought an OS before, I would buy the PCs that have one preinstalled. The only time I would have to buy one is that my OS is outdated or have to update to a more efficient one.
I notice when my OS is outdated, so is my computer.

You can always use the license from your old computer, and install Ubantu on your old computer.

Back