Do you ever save and view website pages and web apps offline?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I occasionally save websites offline as a HTML or PDF file just in case the website goes down, or my internet goes down. I also made whole websites offline with programs like Dreamwever, Notepad, Kompozer, etc, and use a web browser to view the websites files which are stored on my computer's hard drive.

I sometimes download my e-mails for offline reading, and some e-mails are HTML website file with pictures, javascript, and links unless the e-mail is a text file with no pictures, or website links.

I sometimes save web apps to my computers to use offline, or if I want to learn how to make the web app by looking at its code ike the calculator since a lot of web apps are coded in JavaScript, CSS, and HTML which code is readable in a Text editor likeNotepad.

If there was ever a webpage that would greatly help with a homework assignment or test, I would save everything onto my desktop. It's very handy in case of website vanishing.

If there was ever a webpage that would greatly help with a homework assignment or test, I would save everything onto my desktop. It's very handy in case of website vanishing.

Saving a website is also useful if the author or another author make changes to the article where the article is totally different and not helpful anymore. Sites like blogs, forums, and Wiki sites like Wikipedia sometimes edit articles a lot, or delete articles sometimes because the article is unpopular or wrong.

It is also a good idea to save online video to your computer since a lot of online video sites may delete all the videos on a channel if the channel owner broke a rule, or decides to delete their channel.

Yes, I have in the past, because I needed that pdf document for an exam and feared that my internet connection would drop.

I didn't know that we could do that. I have never thought of it before. I don't think I would do it anyways as I wouldn't need it.

If I was using the libraries, school, or work computer and printer, I usually print out full website articles since it is more convenient, and I could continue reading the articles, and not worry about being kicked out of the computer lab because a class or someone else needs to use a computer, or there is a random computer crash or power outage which can make me lose access to my files until the PC or Power have been fixed. I also don't need to worry about not having enough battery power on a laptop, tablet, eReader, and phone to continue reading the article if it is printed on paper.

Some teachers or boss may want you to attach articles you use to complete your homework or work to make sure you didn't just copy and paste/plagiarize answers from a website.

Sometime I copy and paste stuff into notepad. That mostly for things like code edits and things like that :)

Not usually, though I've done it if I think there's a chance said content will be taken down in future. Like video game leaks or fan game sites in danger of being hit with a cease and desist notice. Or just one off releases at events that people stop hosting in future/whose account runs out.

But generally, I see no point in this.

I didn't even know you could save a site to a PDF. So no, I've never done it. I don't know if I'll start, though. It doesn't seem that useful for me.

it's useful if you have school/business and need a certain webpage.

Schools, and Businesses can also save a lot of bandwidth, and prevent some network slow down problems when they save important web pages as offline HTML and PDF files, and also download online video on the site to view offline on a user's hard drive.

A lot of websites, and videos are many MBs in size if too many people view the website at once, it may cause the internet connection, and computer network to be slow and unstable if the router or switch can't handle a lot of network traffic.

Schools, and Businesses can also save a lot of bandwidth, and prevent some network slow down problems when they save important web pages as offline HTML and PDF files, and also download online video on the site to view offline on a user's hard drive.

A lot of websites, and videos are many MBs in size if too many people view the website at once, it may cause the internet connection, and computer network to be slow and unstable if the router or switch can't handle a lot of network traffic.

trust me, I and others have challenged my college's bandwidth by downloading software iso at the same time, network came to a grinding halt :p

trust me, I and others have challenged my college's bandwidth by downloading software iso at the same time, network came to a grinding halt :p

Those Disc ISO files can be pretty big especially those ISOs which are meant to be burned to a DVD-R 4.7GBdisc, and Dual-layer DVD-R which can store almost 9GB of files.

The only website pages I save sometimes are order confirmations. I also sometimes redeem virtual credit cards from survey sites I use so I save the webpage that has the credit card information.

it was mostly ubuntu iso, but any iso can be large.

Those Ubuntu ISO files can get very large unless you download a version of Ubuntu called Lubuntu which is designed for older and slower computers, and mainly come with fewer pre-bundled software, and use the LXDE desktop environment which looks very basic like Windows 98.

I think the Server version of Ubuntu is also smaller in size compared to the desktop version.

The only website pages I save sometimes are order confirmations. I also sometimes redeem virtual credit cards from survey sites I use so I save the webpage that has the credit card information.

I also usually save order confirmations, and proof of payment pages. I think it is also a good idea to save websites with serial keys for paid software which a person bought from a website.

I have never done that, but now I will try to remember about it if I find something important to me. I guess I always believed in my connection, but for sure it can fail you some time. Having the pages saved can help you in particular problems.

Back