Do you feel cell phones with physical buttons are more reliable than a touchscreen?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I seen online videos where smartphones' touchscreens can fail to work, or the touchscreen not work when the temperature is very cold. The whole touchscreen can break/crack making it impossible to see what you are typing, or see the touchscreen.

I feel cell phones with physical buttons like a keyboard or number pad can be more reliable because the buttons are made of plastic instead of glass. The screen on non-touchscreen phones can be covered with a piece of plastic to make it more durable.

I didn't know that because of the cold, touchscreens wouldn't work properly.

It's news to me but I don't think cell phones with actual buttons are reliable. They have key lifetim too

Well, I'm not rough on my phones so I don't normally have to work with a phone with a cracked screen. I didn't know about the cold making a smartphone not work properly either. I've never had any issues with that where I live, at least not yet.

I didn't know that because of the cold, touchscreens wouldn't work properly.

It's news to me but I don't think cell phones with actual buttons are reliable. They have key lifetim too

It was also news to me that some smartphone touchscreens don't work as well when it is cold according to a few forum posts like My touchscreen doesn´t work in cold enviroments from unhappy touchscreen users who experience unresponsive touchscreen when it is cold. But, they may of bought a defective smartphone which touchscreen was not properly installed, or the touchscreens sensitivity setting is set too low where cold temperatures can make the screen less sensitive for some reason.

I feel cell phones with buttons made by higher quality brands like Palm and Blackberry are more likely to have its buttons last many years where the cell phone is outdated, and no longer work with modern cell phone service plans which need a more modern smartphones to use modern services like 4G Data, LTE data, and newer SIM cards.

It was also news to me that some smartphone touchscreens don't work as well when it is cold according to a few forum posts like My touchscreen doesn´t work in cold enviroments from unhappy touchscreen users who experience unresponsive touchscreen when it is cold. But, they may of bought a defective smartphone which touchscreen was not properly installed, or the touchscreens sensitivity setting is set too low where cold temperatures can make the screen less sensitive for some reason.

I feel cell phones with buttons made by higher quality brands like Palm and Blackberry are more likely to have its buttons last many years where the cell phone is outdated, and no longer work with modern cell phone service plans which need a more modern smartphones to use modern services like 4G Data, LTE data, and newer SIM cards.
Oh.... No wonder some people like only old phones because they are reliable. I would love to have a tough flip phone too.
Expecting good quality with great touchscreen functionality in this day and age ...is just a stupid dream

Oh.... No wonder some people like only old phones because they are reliable. I would love to have a tough flip phone too.
Expecting good quality with great touchscreen functionality in this day and age ...is just a stupid dream

I feel touchscreens smartphones' temperature can become too hot which can damage the touchscreen and internal parts like the battery, RAM, and other electrical parts. Touchscreens are more likely to break when drop because the screen does not have a protective plastic screen protector, and protective folding cover when not in use like a flip phone or laptop.

But, flip phones have the battery and other internal parts not installed as close together, so the heat is less likely to damage the internal parts with heat. Some more high quality cell phones with physical buttons have buttons with metal parts like the button spring to move the button up and down. The metal parts can sometimes last many years of use like high quality mechanical PC keyboards which can last many years of use.

Last edited:
Both have their pros and cons, but I feel buttons can be more reliable.

I feel one of the main advantages of buttons is that it is sometimes possible to replace the button if the numbers, and letters start to fade, or you can use a pen to re-write the letter.

But, if a glass touchscreen becomes scratched, cracked and damaged seeing and using the keyboard maybe not possible until the user fix the touchscreen.

Back