Do You Have a Custom Built Gaming Computer?

Nomad

Full GL Member
Credits
Well, I don't have a custom built gaming computer. I have a gaming laptop but I have a desire to get a gaming computer custom build. Do you play games on custom build gaming computer? How much did you spend to build it? In my place a good gaming PC can cost around $5000. Maybe someday I will be able to build a gaming computer for myself.

I am currently building a PCIe Gen 5 gaming PC and still waiting for Nvidia to release their RTX 5080 or RTX 5070 GPU, should be sometime early next year. Will buy one , preferably the one with the best price to performance ratio, will see...
Made a thread about it here:

I have not, but it sounds like a fun and rewarding thing to do.
Indeed it is. Though you have to be careful when picking the parts, making sure that they are all 100% compatible, And the Cpu Cooler must be with high enough TDP to cool your CPU down, very important. What I hate about Intel is their cpus have only 20 PCie 5 Lanes so if you are using a PCie 5 M.2 NVMe SSD with a PCie 5 GPU you will have only have 8 PCie 5 lanes available for your PCie 5 GPU, cutting its bandwidth by half. And thus the M.2 NVMe SSD must be PCie 4 to get the full potential of the PCie 5 GPU.

Last edited:
I have the intention to actually build my own gaming computer soon. I've been doing some research lately and it’ll fun to make it myself. Based on what I found out, I might be spending around $2000.

I have the intention to actually build my own gaming computer soon. I've been doing some research lately and it’ll fun to make it myself. Based on what I found out, I might be spending around $2000.
AMD or Intel or mixed? With the current fiasco with Intel, I'd say avoid Intel for now.

Indeed...

which is why I am limiting the i7 Raptor Lake CPU's Power draw, that I bought. manually, instead of using Intel's default CPU Profile, during the test runs I did. To prevent that problem with Intel CPUs microcode. It's doing good, super stable so far with the voltage intakes, temps and power draw. No crazy spikes during gaming.

Last edited:
which why I am limiting the i7 Raptor Lake CPU's Power draw, that I bought. manually, instead of using Intel's default CPU Profile, during the test runs I did. To prevent that problem with Intel CPUs microcode. It's doing good, super stable so far with the voltage intakes, temps and power draw. No crazy spikes during gaming.

That's good, I doubt most know of the ongoing issue though.

Reactions: cm2
AMD or Intel or mixed? With the current fiasco with Intel, I'd say avoid Intel for now.
That's a good point my friend. I've been reading about the issues with Intel as well. I think I might have to lean on AMD.

I think $2000 is indeed a great budget. I haven't buid mine but my cousin built his own gaming computer last year and it cost him around $2500.

I'm still saving up to build my own custom gaming computer. but I'm hoping to spend around $3000 because I want to make sure that I get top notch specs.

I'm still saving up to build my own custom gaming computer. but I'm hoping to spend around $3000 because I want to make sure that I get top notch specs.
Top notch is not always the best option stability is much more important imo. Like the RTX 4090's power socket is super prone to melting.

Repair shop highlights how bad Nvidia RTX 4090 power connector melting problem still is

Like the 2022 - 2024 intel i9 is ALOT more prone to failure because of its high power consumption rate at extended periods causing the ring bus inside to melt more easily . greatly reducing its lifespan. And for gaming i9 is an overkill too. Most Games will take advantage at most 12 cpu threads. 8 cores are more than enough for high performance gaming.

AMD's high performance cpus got burned easily too before. Ryzen 7000 series and some got some RAM timing issues. AMD also delayed their upcoming high performance cpus because of an issue that they just detected.

Last edited:
Back