Do you hold off until cheaper?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Do you tend to buy video games as soon as they release or wait for a while and pick them up when they are cheaper and second hand? What exceptions do you make?

I personally tend to wait until the year after, I got my PS4 at Christmas, so I am spending this year playing all releases from the year before and then the year after I will play everything that came out this year - this way I get a cheap game with enough patches to make everything work well enough. 

Depends on the game, KH, Persona and .hack I usually buy new otherwise I do wait for a price drop. I'll get lucky when I get a PS4 (another year maybe?) and most games will have some price decrease.

The Witcher 3 might be the first single player game that I actually don't bother waiting until it gets cheaper. I normally only buy online games quickly but pretty tempted with The Witcher 3.

I've always waited until the price drops. Even if there's a game I'm looking forward to, it's highly likely that my brother or a few gamer friends will buy it and I can just tag along, sleep over for a few days and hog the system :) I'd rather wait than spend an unreasonable amount of money on it - usually about a year. 

I would say about 90% of the time I wait for the price to drop.  I find the new releases nowadays have just too many bugs and problems.  It takes away from the fun experience we all are trying to enjoy.  Like you all have said, after about 1+ years, most of the glitches are fixed and a lot of the DLC is reduced as well.

The only exception I make is for a game series I've invested in previously, or a game that just looks so amazing I have to have it, like Shadows of Mordor.

I always check for second hand, unless I can really afford to lose 50 bucks. I am currently trying to find a discounted Little Big Planet 3. I use Kijiji.ca here in Canada and I also visit the Elelctronic Boutique when looking for a deal. A safe way of really getting a deal is to pay for and download the game you want, then call ps3 or xbox the next day and tell them you are not satisfied then ask for your money back. That's how I got a game for free. 

It really does depend on the game. Most of the time I wait a little, especially with PC games as Steam frequently has sales where you can grab a lot of nice games for cheap. If there are games that I'm really looking forward to, ones that I know I will be playing for days, weeks and months, then I'll probably get those as soon as I can.

In the past on the older consoles it was a mixture for me, I used to pre-order and pay full price for the games I really wanted, but wait a little and pay a bit less for any others.

Now I've got the PS4 and the ONE though, I've bought all my games through digital download so I have ended up paying full price.

Why are games on the PlayStation store for example so expensive by the way? Maybe that's something that Sony and Microsoft can look at, not pricing people out of gaming.

I always wait for drops in price. I can't afford to buy all the games I'm waiting for at release for $60 or I'd be broke pretty quickly. Also companies like EA love Expansions and Premium packages that make the game easily exceed the $100 mark. I'd rather wait for drops in price and then get the extra stuff that cost more, all in all it should never cost more than $40.

pwarbi,

I've noticed that the Playstation Network is ridiculously priced!  Maybe its to make people go out and buy the physical copy so they can comp some of their money back?  I have no idea, but it feels like they're trying to abuse the ease of use digital downloading has become.

Rux,

You are absolutely right.  With all of the DLC nowadays, it is getting pricey to be a gamer like the old days.  With Dragon Age alone I've dropped $85.  I try not to think about it, because then I'll just get mad.  But man, that game has me hooked...haha

This is a question that's based on many factors. For me, it would depend on two things:

1) If it's a game I'm waiting years to be released, then I will more than surely pay the entire amount of money just in the day when it'd be released. 
2) If it's a game I've never heard of about before, and doesn't trigger my interest that much, then I would first make sure there are people selling it for a bargain on Ebay, and only unless there isn't anyone selling a copy (which I pretty much doubt, haha) would I buy brand-new one. This is how I did for around 60% of my game collection.

I always wait for price drops. I usually buy the Humble Bundles and pick up games on other sites and Steam when there are offers. 

The only game I've ever bought on release date was Skyrim and I may do the same with Fallout 4 (if I have the money and if my PC can run it). 

For me it really depends on the game and how much I'm looking forward to it.

I often tend to buy games as soon as they are released but I've cooled that off a bit, mainly due to money, and only get the one or two games once they release.

I wait until later for the majority of the games. For the games I really like such as the Fallout series, I normally either buy them around launch time or I pre-order them. Many games today, in my opinion, feels overpriced. In Canada, an average AAA title costs $60 to $80 these days. Five years ago, they cost about $50 to $60 on average. One would think after the majority of the games were made available for digital retail download, that the cost would go down a bit since they no longer have to print out manuals, boxes and such. Yet, the opposite became the reality.

I almost always buy games on day 1. If I don't there is a good chance I'll never get around to buying it. There are to many new games coming out and it is too easy for something to get left behind if I don't get to it right away.

Yes, I usually try to buy when the game I like gets cheaper in order to save some money. I am quite a patient person so I don't find really difficult the fact of waiting a bit more. Also buy games later on and not at the day 1 is also a method to get to know more of the gameplay and maybe decide whatever is worth buying the game or not.

The types of games I enjoy seem like they never drop in price, and then go out of print, and just increase in value on the second hand market. I've also made some money this way, selling things like Suikoden 2 mint condition with case+booklet, etc.

I had to have my local gamestop call another gamestop to get me a copy of Xenoblade (the first one on old wii). It was a used game and I still paid 35 bucks for it second hand. It also said "not available online"

About a month later, there was a big article about how gamestop now considered that game a collector item and was selling them new or used for $125 a piece (which outraged a lot of people, accusing gamestop of price gouging among other things.) So I was glad to have gotten the game when I did.

There's lots of other examples.

My local gamestop usually gets between 0-3 physical copies of lesser known JRPG games. Because of this, I often DO preorder, so I can rest assured they will get me one on day one. I also sometimes preorder online via amazon and other sites.

-----------------------------

Of course, as others have said, it totally depends on the game too. My steam "wishlist" has over 250 games on it, but I wouldn't pay over $20 for about 95% of my list, while other ones, I will buy as soon as I have the extra funds (such as Witcher 3 which was also mentioned above. I want that game bad :). )

It also depends on what other games I currently have to play. I have lots that I need to finish still, which can sometimes help me wait for a sale.

But if I really love a franchise, such as Persona for example, I will buy the game on day one, or preorder it, always. :)

I absolutely do, I always do that and in fact, it is something that is a bit exciting for me because there are some websites that do discounts continuously, like G2A.

If I can wait I will but I usually buy games straight away. Always hunt down the best deals though and go through the cashback website :)

Back