Do you like city builders?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
They seem to split people, some really like them, some find them boring. I sit in the first category - finding them very interesting and they can take up hours of my life.

Recently Tropico 5 released as a free PS+ game and I have being playing that loads recently. Very good game and one that I just find very interesting in terms of developing my city and keeping the residents happy whilst trying to balance the books.

I never owned a game, but I see myself being interested in it.

I enjoy city builders, one of my favorite genres. I find it a lot of fun being able to manage and build my city. I played Tropico 5 when it came on PS+ and have recently played Cities: Skylines & SimCity 5 on PC.

haven't tried it yet but i catches my interest. I think it's cute :)

Now I have always been the type to really love city builder games, but of course, I could see how some may find it boring. Many city builder games are very similar but for me, I never tire of starting new and different games of that type. Maybe I will check out and see if Tropico 5 is good because I have not played a city builder game in forever it feels, and would love to again.

Anyone have any suggestions besides Tropico 5?

I used to play them a lot as a teenager. I started with the Settlers (if that counts as such?) and SimCity, but what really captured me was Anno series and the sequels to the Caesar, namely Phaoraoh and Zeus. Zeus was the peak of the series, but also the last game, not counting the Rise of the Middle Kingdom, which didn't contribute much, besides changing the setting to ancient China.
I didn't discover Tropico until the third game was out, but I liked it too! However, as I grew older the city builders became less challenging, and let's be frank, these games usually become repetitve after playing for longer time. I've stopped playing city-builders somewhere after 2010, although I sometimes reinstall my old Tropico 3 to satisfy my unhealthy need for control :p

Ha, don't let me near them!
I was hopelessly addicted to Sim City to the point that wife my had to ban me before I lost my job, gained 10,000,000lbs and started neglecting myself and my kids. :p

I don't know, I just loved how realistic the simulations were. The citizens coming to you to make major decisions, and the economic component to the games. I mean, Maxis definitely did it right for the time. As for newer versions of the same kind of idea, I'm yet to touch even a single one of them. I'm going to have to look into the 'City Skylines' game Martin mentioned earlier.
Kudos.

Love city builders! I think Sim City 3000 was the first one I played and have been in love with genre ever since. Recently of course, Cities Skylines is my favorite, but unfortunately, my computer isn't as great as it once was so my cities can't get past 100k population which is kinda frustrating since I build the infrastructure to support much more.

City builders have never been my type. I've never enjoyed the slow pace of those tycoon games, and action and adventure were always more my style. Hopefully I'll grow on it one day.

Back