Do you like Internet modems which also have a built-in wireless router?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think modems with a built-in wireless router are good. Modems with a built-in wireless router are usually good enough for most users if the modem comes with a good built-in router.

Users don't risk buying a router which is not compatible with their modem when the router is built-into the modem.

I think modems which also have a built-in router are good for saving space, and using only one power outlet on a power bar instead of two. You also save a little bit of money by not needing to buy a modem, and a separate router which can be more expensive.

A modem with a built-in router may save a little bit of electricity because they use the same power adapter, front LED lights, and parts instead of needing a separate modem and router for sharing the internet which may use more electricity.

Nah, I rather have them separated that way if one of them fails its easy to fix or diagnose.

Nah, I rather have them separated that way if one of them fails its easy to fix or diagnose.

It is usually possible to disable the wireless and wired router in the settings of the modem by setting the ports to Bridge mode, and connect your own wireless router with a Wired Ethernet cable on a empty wired Ethernet port which is usually use for connecting PCs and Servers to the network.

One of the good things about modem and router combo is that the users always can use the wireless router on their modem as a backup router if their separate external router box hooked up to their modem failed because of old age, overheating, damage from a power surge, router virus, router software bugs, and failed firmware update.

Modems are not really easy to fix, and I think they are usually replaced by the ISP when they break.

Sadly, most big ISPs where I live don't seem to give users a choice on using a standalone modem anymore without a wireless router built-into it. But, the modem is usually a free rental when you subscribe to their internet service, so users are not paying more money by needing to buy or rent a more advance expensive router modem combo device.

My ISP separates modem and router so far, they usually don't go for any expensive options.
Free tho.

Why buy a separate WiFi router when an all-in-one router comes from your ISP for no extra cost?

I had a dlink router and it was causing problems with my devices when I tried to play games online. After my ISP replaced the router I had with an all-in-one option, I never experienced any problems with playing games over WiFi. So I felt the cause of the problem was the dlink router I once used.

Free tho.

Why buy a separate WiFi router when an all-in-one router comes from your ISP for no extra cost?

I had a dlink router and it was causing problems with my devices when I tried to play games online. After my ISP replaced the router I had with an all-in-one option, I never experienced any problems with playing games over WiFi. So I felt the cause of the problem was the dlink router I once used.

I think one of the advantages of All-in-one modem/routers is that the modem and built-in router both use tech which is compatible with each other.

Sometimes the tech and parts on older or new modems don't work on some models of routers.

Users' also don't need to hook up an extra ethernet cable to connect to a router with an All-In-One modem/router, so users are less likely to have a unreliable connection because of a poorly made un-shielded cable, or loose/disconnected cable.

Free tho.

lol, no extra cost. My ISP charges for everything and then stealthy increases prices a little at a time.

lol, no extra cost. My ISP charges for everything and then stealthy increases prices a little at a time.

Most ISP where I live just charges expensive prices for Internet, and still enforce bandwidth caps like 200GB of bandwidth data a month, and overage charges for using more data a month. The average internet speeds are slow compared to Internet Service in the US, Japan, and South Korea.

ISP here also slowly increase prices a little at a time, and buyers need to pay attention to their monthly bills to keep track of the price increases.

It is disappointing that many ISPs in North America are not really good when it comes to price, service, and features unless you subscribe to Google Fiber.

Are there any better alternatives for you to switch to?

nope, that's why they get away with it. I just wish google fiber come to town and blow them out of the water.

Most ISP where I live just charges expensive prices for Internet, and still enforce bandwidth caps like 200GB of bandwidth data a month, and overage charges for using more data a month. The average internet speeds are slow compared to Internet Service in the US, Japan, and South Korea.

ISP here also slowly increase prices a little at a time, and buyers need to pay attention to their monthly bills to keep track of the price increases.

It is disappointing that many ISPs in North America are not really good when it comes to price, service, and features unless you subscribe to Google Fiber.

My ISP just put in bandwidth limits about a year ago, but they only matter if a person streams a lot of 4k content.

I find that the combined modem/routers are good and it makes it easier to have everything all in one. However, I like to use my own router instead to get better WiFi speed and range. The routers built-in usually aren't too good, at least from my experience.

Back