Do you play any instruments?

m33kuh

Credits
I'm currently playing in a band. I play bass or sometimes guitar. Our genres are metalcore and post-hardcore.

How about you? Do you like to play instruments? A triangle perhaps? :grin:

I used to play a little bit of piano but I haven't done that for years now.
That's good. I always wanted to learn how to play piano. I just don't have the money to buy one. I can't learn an instrument when it's not mine. :)

What's the different between bass and guitar?
Well, a bass is technically a guitar also. But it only has four fat strings. A guitar is, well a guitar. :grin: They both come in electric and non-electric. I prefer electric though.

I used to play the trombone in high school. I still play for the alumni, but that doesn't really mean I remember how to play it. ;)

You wont believe this, but Ive been planning to make this very thread, like Ive been thinking about it all morning, haha. I decided to search the thread just to make sure no one else had done it, and found this one made just a few minutes before me : p

And yes, I play music. it was a dream of mine to play music as a child. I joined choir when I was in elementary school, and I made recorded squad too : p You had to audition in front of your class mates to make recorder squad, so I was happy that I did, haha.

Then when I got to middle school I took up violin and joined orchestra, and I stayed in orchestra until my last year of high school.
I was given a keyboard, and took some piano classes in high school, too. Sadly my niece and nephew broke my keyboard, and I havent played piano since : (

And when I was 21, a friend of mine gave me a bass guitar on the condition that I learn to play it, and I did : p Its become my favorite instrument ever, and Ive taken up writing my own music on it. I learned how to play chords on it mostly from just playing around on my bass guitar myself, and I picked up a few from others too.
And I took what I learned on bass guitar and used it on guitar, which made picking up the guitar really easy for me, haha.

Well, a bass is technically a guitar also. But it only has four fat strings. A guitar is, well a guitar. :grin: They both come in electric and non-electric. I prefer electric though.

They do come in different shapes, though. You can get 5 string and 6 string basses. I play a standard four string bass, though.
There are also different types of strings you can get for your bass. I really want to get piccolo strings on an acoustic bass guitar. They are higher pitched than standard bass strings, Id really like to try them out.

You wont believe this, but Ive been planning to make this very thread, like Ive been thinking about it all morning, haha. I decided to search the thread just to make sure no one else had done it, and found this one made just a few minutes before me : p
XD I always have that feeling whenever I think of something and try to make a thread about it and decided to do it later. Then this happens. :grin: Anyway, sorry. :p But we can always share this thread. ^_^

They do come in different shapes, though. You can get 5 string and 6 string basses. I play a standard four string bass, though.
There are also different types of strings you can get for your bass. I really want to get piccolo strings on an acoustic bass guitar. They are higher pitched than standard bass strings, Id really like to try them out.
Yes technically they also come in different shapes and number of strings, 4 being the standard (since the one asking is a newbie). I only have a 4 string though since my type of music doesn't need to have an extra strings. I can even use only 2 strings if I want to but it would look awkward. Unless I play jazz then I might need more strings. :p

Piccolo strings? Never heard of them. If you have the chance to try them out, kindly show us here, ayt? :)

Thanks for sharing by the way! It's always good to know that we have fellow musicians here. ^^

I used to play the trombone in high school. I still play for the alumni, but that doesn't really mean I remember how to play it. ;)

I use to play the trombone also. I played the tenor trombone from 6th grade till 9th grade. Then I played the bass trombone from 10th grade till I graduated high school at the end of my 12th grade year.

Oh cool! You will remember how to play it if you just feel the bone ;). Have you also tried playing sax?
No, but my best friend at the time played the sax. My first choice was the trumpet, but I couldn't blow into it to get sound so the director told me to try trombone and I stuck with it.

XD I always have that feeling whenever I think of something and try to make a thread about it and decided to do it later. Then this happens. :grin: Anyway, sorry. :p But we can always share this thread. ^_^

Yes technically they also come in different shapes and number of strings, 4 being the standard (since the one asking is a newbie). I only have a 4 string though since my type of music doesn't need to have an extra strings. I can even use only 2 strings if I want to but it would look awkward. Unless I play jazz then I might need more strings. :p

Piccolo strings? Never heard of them. If you have the chance to try them out, kindly show us here, ayt? :)

Thanks for sharing by the way! It's always good to know that we have fellow musicians here. ^^

Oh, I hope I didnt come off as a know-it-all or anything. I posted about other types of bass more for the person asking about bass and not cuz I didnt think you would know better : p It was just adding to what you wrote.

And haha yeah Ive been playing bass guitar for 7 years now and I just learned about piccolo strings like last year : p Im surprised they arent more common. Though bass guitar is generally treated more as just a rhythm instrument for a rock band than a stand-alone instrument capable of holding solo music. So I guess it makes sense that they arent too common.

And haha I forgot the two string bass : p Would rather keep my D and G strings, haha.

I can play the guitar but I don't do it often. I've learned it by myself and it wasn't that hard.

Haha, yeah most people seem to act as if guitar is the most difficult instrument to play ever. While its true I played bass guitar beforehand, I did not find guitar that hard to pick up and learn, either.
Most instruments are hard to master, but to just pick up and learn the basics, anyone can do that.

Haha, yeah most people seem to act as if guitar is the most difficult instrument to play ever. While its true I played bass guitar beforehand, I did not find guitar that hard to pick up and learn, either.
In a way I thought that keyboarding/piano would be the hardest while drums would be really easy then you would have guitar/bass ect in between.

I've always wanted to play the guitar but I think I got past the point in life where that would probably help getting girls or something. I'm 25, too lazy to try anything new, so maybe guitar lessons won't be my next goal in the bucket list. I've always wanted to learn how to play the keyboard too, but that's the same story all over again.

In a way I thought that keyboarding/piano would be the hardest while drums would be really easy then you would have guitar/bass ect in between.

Ive heard that piano/keyboard is both easy and hard from different people. It all just depends on the person youre asking, and what theyre thinking of when you ask them. Like when you ask someone whats harder between bass guitar and guitar, people imagine learning guitar with jumping straight into barre chords, where they imagine bass with just the beginning "put your finger on this note and pluck the string", so they assume guitar is much harder. Of course, most guitarists did not just jump into playing chords, they usually start with power chords, which is just holding down two notes while muting the strings below it with your fretting hand.

While slighty more difficult than holding down one note on a bass, its not that hard to do : p Same with piano, it depends on if the person is thinking of merely pressing a couple of keys on a piano, or actually learning the chords and techniques of playing piano.

I've always wanted to play the guitar but I think I got past the point in life where that would probably help getting girls or something. I'm 25, too lazy to try anything new, so maybe guitar lessons won't be my next goal in the bucket list. I've always wanted to learn how to play the keyboard too, but that's the same story all over again.

Id totally start if I were you : p I didnt start bass guitar until I was 21, and Im really happy I did. Its way fun to play and write your own music, and it makes you feel really good about yourself. Plus you can make friends with other musicians. You should totally do it.

No, but my best friend at the time played the sax. My first choice was the trumpet, but I couldn't blow into it to get sound so the director told me to try trombone and I stuck with it.

I almost ended up playing the clarinet instead of the trombone. The guy that was the director at the time walked by and encouraged me to try out the trombone and I did. And I ended up liking it better than the clarinet. The clarinet may have been lighter and easier to carry around but I had liked the trombone better.

I use to play the trombone also. I played the tenor trombone from 6th grade till 9th grade. Then I played the bass trombone from 10th grade till I graduated high school at the end of my 12th grade year.
Man, that is so awesome. I have always been fascinated with those kinds of wind instruments but I find it weird playing them. :grin:
So you must be in a jazz band now or something?

Oh, I hope I didnt come off as a know-it-all or anything. I posted about other types of bass more for the person asking about bass and not cuz I didnt think you would know better : p It was just adding to what you wrote.

And haha yeah Ive been playing bass guitar for 7 years now and I just learned about piccolo strings like last year : p Im surprised they arent more common. Though bass guitar is generally treated more as just a rhythm instrument for a rock band than a stand-alone instrument capable of holding solo music. So I guess it makes sense that they arent too common.

And haha I forgot the two string bass : p Would rather keep my D and G strings, haha.
Oh no kind sir, of course not. Never would that kind of thing cross my mind. :) We are here as messenger of informations so I appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness. <3

I have really never heard about those strings. Are you still in a band now?

YES! But for me I prefer the lower E (tuned to Drop D) and the A since most of our songs are screamo. Hell it's even playable with 1 string right. -_-
XD

Sure I do! I play the guitar, I consider myself pretty skilled on it, I have 3 songs written on my own, I like to play pop punk, influenced by sum 41, Blink 182 and Green Day.

Back