Do you still prefer having a software recorded on disc instead of downloadable software?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I would be disappointed if I bought something like a math book, and it required me to download a math tutorial program instead of just including the software on a CD because sometimes the website for books maybe offline, or the internet connection is not good at where I am at currently.

Plus, some software like Operating Systems for Windows, and Linux has repair tools like System restore, command line, or an entire operating system stored on a disc, or USB drive, so making a disc or usb version of the software is important for most users who fix their own computer operating system software.

Operating Systems like Windows, and Linux are also many GB in size, so if you have a low bandwidth limit cap like 10GB, it is cheaper to buy the disc version from a store, so you do not have to pay overage fees to your ISP for going over your bandwidth limit.

Everything is going to website these days, several of my last classes required going to some website for additional content.

Everything is going to website these days, several of my last classes required going to some website for additional content.

I agree, everything seems to becoming online base.

But, I feel the teacher could at least store the files locally on the classroom's desktop computer, or a shared network drive on a local LAN network connected by a Gigabit wired Ethernet connection and faster 802.22 AC wi-fi wireless connection, or copy content to a USB 3.0 drive to hand out to the class, so there is less of a chance of internet slowdowns, and downtimes which interrupts the class, or make the class un-teachable if students did not pre-download the content before class, and the internet was not working while in class.

I agree, everything seems to becoming online base.

But, I feel the teacher could at least store the files locally on the classroom's desktop computer, or a shared network drive on a local LAN network connected by a Gigabit wired Ethernet connection and faster 802.22 AC wi-fi wireless connection, or copy content to a USB 3.0 drive to hand out to the class, so there is less of a chance of internet slowdowns, and downtimes which interrupts the class, or make the class un-teachable if students did not pre-download the content before class, and the internet was not working while in class.

My teacher did do this on the local school drive, but for some reason all the files got locked and couldn't access them. Had to grab a back up disc and manually get them off of that.

My teacher did do this on the local school drive, but for some reason all the files got locked and couldn't access them. Had to grab a back up disc and manually get them off of that.

I wonder if he could of created an FTP server on a local computer connected to a network, and set the server to allow anonymous downloads without the need for a password, so people can use a FTP client like FileZilla or a web browser like Firefox with FTP support to allow people to download files on a locally store drive by using the FTP protocol for transferring and uploading files.

But, some places may block the FTP protocol and port for security reasons, and to prevent people from downloading and uploading non-work related files on their network.

Well most of the time I don't mind downloading programs off the net. My only issue is with steam: You can't run steam on your phone so you can't do your downloading on a public network while you are out.

I like games on discs, since you can actually resell them or trade them in later. In other words, you actually own them. Same deal with certain other programs.

However, I'm not too picky.

I like games on discs, since you can actually resell them or trade them in later. In other words, you actually own them. Same deal with certain other programs.

However, I'm not too picky.

I also like disc because users can re-sell old games, and software.

I think if the software cost a lot of money like $50 dollars or more, it is a better idea to buy the disc and physical version when possible since sometimes software companies get sold to a bigger company, or close down when the company is bankrupt. If you have a physical disc version, you have an extra backup of the installer file if you also backup the installer file for the software to your PC, or USB hard drive. Plus, you can also still download the software online if the software maker lets people who buy the software on disc download the software from their official site.

One of the disadvantages of buying a pre-built PC these days is that most PCs no longer comes with a Windows install disc. If you did not make a recovery disc, or Recovery USB flash drive for Windows, and your computer's hard drive broke, you would need to order a recovery disc from a PC maker like HP which can cost $45 according to HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive | HP® Customer Support , buy a brand new Windows install disc for around $100 or more depending on the version, or prove to Microsoft that the Windows License key on a sticker stuck on your computer belongs to you, so they can let you download a legal version of Windows from microsoft.com. If the license key sticker, fell off, or got lost, your only choices are buying Recovery disc from your computer, or buying Windows installer disc or USB drive from a store.

If the software maker discontinued older software which you bought online, or it went out of business, the website is blocked or offline, and you don't have a physical backup of the installers for programs on USB or CD before your hard drive broke, or you accidentally deleted your installer files, you won't be able to legally install software you bought.

Back