Do you think bandwidth data limits will still exist in the future for ISP and Cell phone plans?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Unfortunately, I feel bandwidth limits will still exist in the future because there are not many unlimited plans unless you pay a lot of money, or live in a place with Google Fiber, and cell phone plans with unlimited data.

Yes, my ISP actually put a limit into effect a year or two ago. Granted you have to do a bunch of 4k streaming/downloading to hit it but it still sucks to have that limit.

Yes, my ISP actually put a limit into effect a year or two ago. Granted you have to do a bunch of 4k streaming/downloading to hit it but it still sucks to have that limit.

Sometimes the bandwidth counter on your ISP's account is not accurate, and may say you used more data than you actually used, so they can force you to pay more money for using over the bandwidth limit, or slow down your internet speed after you go over your limit, and hope you upgrade to a faster more expensive internet or data plan with more bandwidth.

If you take online courses which require you to download a lot of large files, and watch a lot of very long online videos recorded in HD and 4K, or many standard definition 480P videos which are 5 hours or longer per video, you may go over your bandwidth limit even if you have a large bandwidth limit. Working online as a moderator for a large online social networking video site like Instagram, and YouTune can use a lot of bandwidth. Software testers who download beta games, and software with large file download sizes which are many GBs in size could use a lot of bandwidth.

Last edited:
Eh it depends, the whole point of Google Fiber was to try and improve the internet other providers offer. That still hasn't really happened so I think it will take a lot more work from competition until it happens.

Eh it depends, the whole point of Google Fiber was to try and improve the internet other providers offer. That still hasn't really happened so I think it will take a lot more work from competition until it happens.

Competition may help at improving the internet. But, most internet providers in North America don't have unlimited bandwidth, and cost similar prices where subscribing to another internet service provider cost the same, and you still have a bandwidth limit.

I think the government also has to help internet service providers create affordable internet service plans which most average people can afford, or the government pay for some of the cost of the internet bill like how school is free even for poor people who can't afford to pay taxes, and may require money from the government to pay rent, and buy food.

So you guys don't get unlimited broadband in terms of home usage? Because we do here in the UK by basically all providers, It's just our mobile data that is limited.

So you guys don't get unlimited broadband in terms of home usage? Because we do here in the UK by basically all providers, It's just our mobile data that is limited.

I have a 200GB per month bandwidth limit for my home fiber internet with a maximum download and upload speed of 15 Mbps.

Last edited:
huh, I thought internet was good up in Canada?

It was okay before when the internet was mainly text and pictures. But, when music and movie file sharing services like Napster, Kazaa, and Bittotennt became popular, the internet in Canada became worse since it can't keep with the high bandwidth and speed needed for file sharing services, and streaming like YouTube, and Netflix.

The owner/CEO of Netflix said Canada's internet access is like a third-world country access to the internet according to Netflix Canada: Ted Sarandos Says Canadians ‘Have Almost Third-World Access To The Internet' .

ISPs giving you limited data sounds like a crazy idea.
Such a thing only exists on mobile plans over here, which started out as unlimited, but then became 1 GB a month, then slowly became both more and less (250 MB if you pay less, or 20 GB if you pay more for example).

I have a 20 GB plan on my mobile subscription, because when I take my laptop with me somewhere, I use my phone as a modem all the time.

Back