Do you think future Google Chromebook Pixel/Pixelbook will still use Intel CPUs?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is less likely that Google Pixel/Pixelbook Chromebooks to use Intel CPUs like the Intel Core i5 and i7 in the future. Google Chrome OS can now run Google Play Android apps, and games, so a faster mobile CPU like the Nvidia Tegra X1, and Samsung Exynos 8895 may run apps better than Intel CPUs because most Android apps are designed for mobile CPUs and video chips like the video chip in the Tegra X1. An AMD CPU may also be a popular CPU to use for future Google Pixel/Pixelbook becaus AMD reputation is not damaged by all the bad news from Intel Meltdown and Spectre security problems.

Intel is also having a lot of bad news coming out about them because of the Intel Meltdown and Spectre CPU hardware design flaw which lead to a hard to fix security problem which lead to slowdown problems when Intel Meltdown is patched with an operating system patch.

There is a chance that Intel will go bankrupt if Intel losses too many class action lawsuits, and the court judges order Intel to pay many billions of dollars to the many millions of victims who are affected by the Intel Meltdown and Spectre security problems. If Intel goes bankrupt from the many lawsuits it is facing, there would be no Intel CPU being made for PCs like Chromebooks.

Using an Intel CPU in a Chromebook Pixel and Pixelbook may make it harder to sell to the tech savvy users who buy the Pixel and Pixelbook who are more likely to know about the Intel Meltdown and Spectre security problems which can cause slowdown problems.

Last edited:
Hard to say, but I'm sure they will move away from it.

I think there maybe a cheaper version of the Google Chromebook Pixelbook which cost $500-800, and uses a CPU made by AMD, Samsung, Qualcomm or Google itself.

If Intel can't fix both the Meltdown and Spectre Security problem in a few years, I can see Google switching to another CPU maker.

Back