Do you think laptops and desktop PCs won't be sold at department stores in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that department stores like Walmart, Target and K-Mart may stop selling desktop and laptop computers in the future. The selection of laptops, and desktop computers are already not very good at most department stores I recently visited. Some smaller department stores stop selling or never sold PCs where I live.

More people seem to be buying Windows tablets, iPads, and Android tablets these days instead of regular laptops, and desktop PCs. Stores like Wal-Mart may use the store space in their electronics section to display and sell tablets, smartphones, game consoles, TVs, TV boxes like Roku and other electronics .

Plus, PC buyers can save more money on laptops and desktop PCs when they buy a PC on Amazon, eBay, Craigslists, or from a custom computer builder where buyers can pick and choose their own parts to buy a custom built PC. Building your own desktop can also save a lot of money as well.

There are also PC branded stores for buying a Desktop and laptop PC at the Apple Store, and The Microsoft Store which costumers are more likely to pay higher prices, and are more likely less tech savvy than someone who shops at Amazon, eBay, NCIX, Craigslist and Newegg.

People who buy a PC from the Apple and Microsoft store maybe less likely to buy a PC at a store like Wal-Mart.

I currently work at Staples and we always have people coming in to buy laptops and other gear. Already though we barely sell towers and tablets seem to be on decline and our laptop selection is pretty much crap.

Though I can see department stores stop selling them since they pretty much sell them at a loss, they require their tech people to add on other stuff like keyboards, software and other crap to balance things out.

I currently work at Staples and we always have people coming in to buy laptops and other gear. Already though we barely sell towers and tablets seem to be on decline and our laptop selection is pretty much crap.

Though I can see department stores stop selling them since they pretty much sell them at a loss, they require their tech people to add on other stuff like keyboards, software and other crap to balance things out.

I remember going into a Staples many years ago, and their desktop, laptop, and other gear selection is very limited, and somewhat more expensive than other places.

I think many department stores don't have a good selection of keyboards, mouse, software, pc speakers, and other gear, so people may not buy other stuff to balance things out.

Most department store selection of desktop and laptop PCs is very limited in my experience. Most of the PCs seem to be old, slow, and mostly good for school and office work. There also don't seem to be a lot of people checking out the PCs compared to TVs and Games at a department store.

I remember going into a Staples many years ago, and their desktop, laptop, and other gear selection is very limited, and somewhat more expensive than other places.

I think many department stores don't have a good selection of keyboards, mouse, software, pc speakers, and other gear, so people may not buy other stuff to balance things out.

Most department store selection of desktop and laptop PCs is very limited in my experience. Most of the PCs seem to be old, slow, and mostly good for school and office work. There also don't seem to be a lot of people checking out the PCs compared to TVs and Games at a department store.

it's different from store to store, but the laptops are either under priced or over priced. Since that W10 RAM increase some of the lower ends can't really run it.

Well, it is a possibility, but I don't really think it will happen in the near future. People still buy laptops and desktops from stores.

Well, it is a possibility, but I don't really think it will happen in the near future. People still buy laptops and desktops from stores.

I agree it may not happen in the near future because there are still some people who buy computers at stores.

Department stores like Wal-Mart may not earn a lot of money from computer sales because they usually sell them at low prices where they make less profit, or a loss or under price like Demon_skeith said.

I read online at BGR in January 2014, that the average PC makes $14.87 in profits per PC. I think PC makers may earn $12 or less profits for an average PC by now because more people are buying computers which cost under $300 where the profits are lower because the PC parts like the screen, RAM, CPU, storage drive, circuit boards, case, etc still probably cost hundreds of dollars to buy to build these cheap computers. The Windows operating system, and other bundled software like antivirus, office suites, and games also still cost $100 or less depending on if the computer maker can can get a lower price on Windows, and other software licenses to install on their cheap PCs.

It can also be risky selling desktops or laptops since most people already own one, and computers becomes outdated/obsolete, so the store sell them at a loss to free up more store space for newer laptops and desktops which are released in the near future.

It's possible I guess but I believe that for as long as people go in these particular stores to purchase things like laptops and PC's they will continue to sell them.

I think there may need to have a few hundred customers a year who buy a PC or laptop to make selling them worth it at a department store since the PC and laptop displays and demo units sometimes take up a lot of space in the electronics section compared to game consoles where there are only 3 on display. Sometimes the computer and laptop section take up a whole corner or aisle in the electronics section.

I feel department selling custom built PC where buyers can customize their PC with different parts, cases, software, and accessories is a better way to sell computers instead of selling many different models and brands of different desktops, and laptop computers.

Back