Do you think some anime would be popular, if they were to get released now?

Claraviolet

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Unlock full profile styling
So, what if one piece, naruto, bleach and other popular anime starts airing now, for the first time....do you think they would still be popular?

I don't think so.....right now....the standards are too high.

In some cases of popular shows, it would depend on what and why. Some shows that either created the templates for a genre, or made the genre popular might come off as too generic.

Let's just look at an easy example like SAO. It was released at a really good time and also the whole isekai game world deal wasn't seen in a mainstream show since .Hack. If it came out now, it'd probably still be fairly popular, but not to the extreme it is now, as it wouldn't be as revolutionary, and it's timely release wouldn't have given it a boost.

In some cases of popular shows, it would depend on what and why. Some shows that either created the templates for a genre, or made the genre popular might come off as too generic.

Let's just look at an easy example like SAO. It was released at a really good time and also the whole isekai game world deal wasn't seen in a mainstream show since .Hack. If it came out now, it'd probably still be fairly popular, but not to the extreme it is now, as it wouldn't be as revolutionary, and it's timely release wouldn't have given it a boost.
I agree.
Many people dislike SAO now, saying that it's not done correctly.
I am not a fan of isekai genre, so, I can't really say much.

I agree.

That’s not the point I am making. I’m talking about how a series makes a genre popular, and a ton of other shows will copy all of the setting and tropes. Years later, it loses its uniqueness and comes off as generic to those who saw it after being exposed to the so called “rip offs”.

That’s why I said that if it got released now, it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. Most likely still popular, but nowhere near as gigantic.

That’s not the point I am making. I’m talking about how a series makes a genre popular, and a ton of other shows will copy all of the setting and tropes. Years later, it loses its uniqueness and comes off as generic to those who saw it after being exposed to the so called “rip offs”.

That’s why I said that if it got released now, it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. Most likely still popular, but nowhere near as gigantic.
hmm that's the truth.
I do agree that it would lose the uniqueness, if it gets too popular and get many series which are similar to it. In fact, that's how the world works. My bad.

hmm that's the truth.
I do agree that it would lose the uniqueness, if it gets too popular and get many series which are similar to it. In fact, that's how the world works. My bad.

In a way it is kind of sad, but it depends on the attitude of the originator, or how bad people attack the original. Some people find it flattering that enough people found their work that enjoyable.

It is significantly more rare for something to come out, be innovative, and still stay unique. I think once a decade/generation you'll run across something so unique, that it'll be too difficulty to copy without being a blatant copy.

I agree.

I'm actually enjoying this alice arc in SAO.

Back